Redcap was a British television series produced by ABC Weekend Television and broadcast on the ITV network.
It starred John Thaw as Sergeant John Mann, a member of the Special Investigation Branch of the Royal Military Police and ran for two series and 26 episodes between 1964 and 1966.
Other actors appearing in the series included Kenneth Colley, Keith Barron, Windsor Davies, David Battley and Allan Cuthbertson. The series was created by Jack Bell and employed a variety of writers including Roger Marshall, Troy Kennedy-Martin, Jeremy Paul, Robert Holles and Richard Harris.
Outline of Series 01, Episode 01
Mann investigates how and why a soldier murdered his sergeant in the middle of a crowded mess tent, and gets conflicting accounts from the witnesses.
- Series 01:
- Episode 01: It’s What Comes After.
- Episode 02: A Town Called Love.
- Episode 03: Epitaph for a Sweat.
- Episode 04: Misfire.
- Episode 05: Corporal McCann’s Private War.
- Episode 06: The Orderly Officer.
- Episode 07: Nightwatch.
- Episode 08: The Boys of B Company.
- Episode 09: A Regiment of the Line.
- Episode 10: The Man They Did.
- Episode 11: A Question of Initiative.
- Episode 12: A Place of Refuge.
- Episode 13: The Patrol.
- Series 02:
- Episode 01: Crime Passionel.
- Episode 02: The Pride of the Regiment.
- Episode 03: The Killer.
- Episode 04: Buckingham Palace.
- Episode 05: Rough Justice.
- Episode 06: The Money Lenders.
- Episode 07: Strictly by the Book.
- Episode 08: Paterson’s Private Army.
- Episode 09: Stag Party.
- Episode 10: An Ambush Among Friends.
- Episode 11: The Alibi.
- Episode 12: The Proper Charlie.
- Episode 13: Information Received.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator: Jack Bell.
- Developer: Richard Harrison.
- Director: Ray Menmuir.
- Producer: John Bryce.
- Editor: Ian Kennedy Martin.
- Production: ABC Weekend Television.
- Distribution: ITV.
- Released Date: 17 October 1964 (UK).
- Running time: 50 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.