Every Time We Say Goodbye is a 1986 American drama film starring Tom Hanks and Cristina Marsillach. Hanks plays a gentile American in the Royal Air Force, stationed in mandatory Jerusalem, who falls in love with a girl from a Sephardic Jewish family.
Lieutenant David Bradley (Tom Hanks) is an American pilot who joins the Royal Air Force (RAF) before the United States enters World War II. After his Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bomber is shot down in North Africa, he recovers from a leg injury in Jerusalem.
During his recovery, David meets Sarah Perrara (Cristina Marsillach), a serene girl of Spanish Jewish descent. The two young people are attracted to each other but she is convinced that their diverse backgrounds mean it could never work. Her family’s disapproval and the fact that he is a gentile son of a Protestant minister, stand in their way.
Although they keep running into each other in the small community, they find themselves parting as frequently as they find each other.
Trivia & Goofs
- The film has the unusual distinction of being partly in the Ladino language.
- With young lovers of very different backgrounds with religious/cultural differences, the film is an account of a forbidden love, and the sacrifices that are made in the face of prejudice.
- Sarah and Victoria’s family are Sephardic (or Sephardi or Separdim) Jews who because of the diaspora, lived in North Africa, Spain and Portugal around 1,000 AD. They spoke a language called Ladino, which is an amalgam of Spanish, Hebrew and Aramaic. The etymology of “Sephardic” is from a country mentioned in the book of Obadiah in the Hebrew Bible, and is believed to be representing Spain. The Sepharic were exiled from Spain by the Alhambra Decree of 1492.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Moshe Mizrahi.
- Producers: Sharon Harel and Jacob Kotzky.
- Writers: Moshe Mizrahi, Rachel Fabien, and Leah Appet.
- Music: Philippe Sarde.
- Production: Delphi V Productions and TriStar Pictures.
- Distributor: TriStar Pictures.
- Release Date: 14 November 1986 (US).
- Running Time: 95 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English and Judezmo.