The War of the Worlds (also known in promotional material as H. G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds) is a 1953 American Technicolor science fiction film.
The film is a loose adaptation of the novel of the same name by H.G. Wells, the first of several film adaptations. It is a modern retelling of the 1897 novel, changing the setting from Victorian era-England to 1953 southern California. Earth is suddenly and unexpectedly invaded by Martians, and American scientist Clayton Forrester searches for any weakness that can stop them.
The War of the Worlds Film, TV Series & Documentaries
You can find a full index here.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Byron Haskin.
- Producer: George Pal.
- Screenplay: Barre Lyndon.
- Narrator: Sir Cedric Hardwicke.
- Music: Leith Stevens.
- Cinematography: George Barnes.
- Editors: Everett Douglas.
- Production: Paramount Pictures.
- Distributor: Paramount Pictures.
- Release Date: 13 August 1953.
- Running Time: 85 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.