A 1956 documentary, presented by Walter Cronkite, charting the rise and changing role of aviation in the military.
The story of aviation, from the invention of the airplane to supersonic planes and missiles, with a glimpse of rockets and the future of aviation. Some of the heroes of aviation are seen, as well as the leading figures of modern history.
Air Power Series
- Episode 00: Vertijet (Pilot Episode).
- Episode 01: The Day North America is Attacked (60 Minute Debut Episode).
- Episode 02: The Early Days.
- Episode 03: The Luftwaffe.
- Episode 04: Pearl Harbour.
- Episode 05: The Battle of Britain.
- Episode 06: Counterblast.
- Episode 07: Fools, Daredevils, and Geniuses.
- Episode 08: The 1930’s.
- Episode 09: Target Ploesti.
- Episode 10: Schweinfurt.
- Episode 11: Conquest of the Air.
- Episode 12: The Japanese Perimeter.
- Episode 13: Interdiction and Blockade.
- Episode 14: Operation Strangle.
- Episode 15: Pacific Patterns.
- Episode 16: Advance the Bomber Line.
- Episode 17: The Winning of France.
- Episode 18: Superfort.
- Episode 19: Victory in Europe.
- Episode 20: Kamikaze.
- Episode 21: Defeat of Japan.
- Episode 22: The Cold Decade – Airlift.
- Episode 23: The Cold Decade – To the Yalu.
- Episode 24: The Cold Decade – Korean Stalemate.
- Episode 25: Starfighter.
- Episode 26: The New Doctrine.
Production & Filming Details
- Producer: Perry Wolff and Jim Faichney.
- Narrator: Walter Cronkite.
- Music: Nomran Dello Joio.
- Production: CBS Public Affairs Department Production
- in conjunction with the US Air Force.
- Release Date: 11 November 1956 to 05 May 1957.
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.