Trekkies is a 1997 documentary film directed by Roger Nygard about the devoted fans of Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek.
It is the first film released by Paramount Vantage, then known as Paramount Classics, and stars Denise Crosby (best known for her portrayal of Security Chief Tasha Yar on the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation).
It followed Trekkies 02 in 2004.
The film contains interviews with Star Trek devotees, more commonly known as Trekkies.
The fans range from people who dress as Klingons to members of Brent Spiner fan clubs and includes a club that is producing a Star Trek movie of their own.
Trekkies includes many Star Trek actors and fans including Barbara Adams, the Whitewater scandal trial juror who arrived in court in her Starfleet uniform.
Another prominent profilee was Gabriel Köerner, who attained minor celebrity status as a result of his role in the film.
- After she worked with director Roger Nygard in his television film High Strung (1991), former Star Trek: The Next Generation actress Denise Crosby suggested that they should work together on a documentary regarding Star Trek fandom.
- Nygard thought it was a good idea and was surprised that it had not been done before.
- The first filming session took place at the Fantasticon science fiction convention at the Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles organised by William Campbell.
- Nygard felt that the footage from this first convention was good enough to warrant continuing with the project.
- Trekkies received a national release in the United States on 21 May 1999. It was in direct competition with Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Roger Nygard.
- Producer(s): W.K. Border, Denise Crosby, Michael Leahy, Scott Nimefro, and Joel Soisson.
- Music: J.J. Holiday, Billy Sullivan, Walter Wertzowa, and Jimmie Wood.
- Cinematography: Harris Done.
- Editor(s): Roger Nygard.
- Production: NEO Motion Pictures.
- Distributor(s): CIC-Taft Home Video, Paramount Classics, and Paramount Pictures.
- Release Date: 18 October 1997 (Hamptons International Film Festival).
- Running Time: 86 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.