Rodina (Russian: Родина; Homeland) is a Russian political thriller television series developed by Pavel Lungin and Timur Weinstein, based on the Israeli series Hatufim, which was created by Gideon Raff.
The series stars Viktoriya Isakova as Anna Zimina, a Federal Security Service (FSB) officer, and Vladimir Mashkov as Alexey Bragin, a Russian Marine Corps sniper. Anna comes to believe that Alexey, who was held captive by Chechen terrorists as a prisoner of war, was “turned” by the enemy and threatens the Russian Federation.
The series begins in 1993. Marine Colonel Alexey Bragin and sniper Yuri Khamzin go missing during a military operation in the North Caucasus.
Six years later, a joint force of the FSB’s Alpha Group and Spetsnaz GRU raids a terrorist camp in the North Caucasus. Capturing a bunker, they find a bearded Colonel Bragin chained to a wall. Bragin’s liberation becomes a media event. Physically and psychologically exhausted by long years of torture and solitary confinement, Bragin begins working with doctors and psychologists, as well as Anna Zimina, an expert analyst from the FSB’s Counter-terrorism Centre.
At the heart of the plot is a confrontation between Bragin, who is experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and is suspected of recruiting terrorists, and Anna, the FSB officer assigned to investigate him.
- Viktoriya Isakova as Anna Zimmina, a FSB analyst in the FSB’s Counter-terrorism Centre.
- Vladimir Mashkov as Alexey Bragin, a retired Marines corps colonel who is rescued by Spetsnaz GRU after being held by Chechen terrorists as a prisoner of war for six years.
- Sergei Makovetsky as Mikhail Volskiy as Anna’s mentor.
- Andrey Merzlikin as Oleg Basov, a member of the State Duma.
- Yuri Yakovlev Sukhanov as Yuri Khamzin.
- Maria Mironova as Elena, Bragin’s wife.
- Sophia Khilkova as Katya Bragina.
- Vladimir Vdovichenkov as Dmitry Bragin.
- Valeriu Andriuta – Bin Jalid.
- Filming began on February 2014 in Moscow and Moscow Oblast.
- The series was a ratings hit, with the premiere being the network’s highest-rated show in two years.
- Episode 01.
- Episode 02.
- Episode 03.
- Episode 04.
- Episode 05.
- Episode 06.
- Episode 07.
- Episode 08.
- Episode 09.
- Episode 10.
- Episode 11.
- Episode 12.
Production & Filming Details
- Developer(s): Pavel Lungin and Tamas T. Toth.
- Director(s): Pavel Lungin.
- Producer(s): Timur Weinstein and Gideon Raff.
- Writer(s): Pavel Lungin and Mikhail Shulman.
- Music: Alexei Aigui.
- Cinematography: Michael Schulman and Pavel Lungin.
- Production: WeiT Media and Keshet Media Group.
- Original Network: Russia-1.
- Release Date: 16 March 2015 to 26 March 2015.
- Running Time: 48-68 minutes.
- Country: Russia.
- Language: Russian.