Stumptown is an American crime drama television series that debuted on ABC on 25 September 2019.
The series is based on the comic book series of the same name, created by Greg Rucka, Matthew Southworth and Justin Greenwood and adapted for television by writer-producer Jason Richman.
Dex Parios is a sharp-witted military veteran, who struggles to get by and take care of her younger brother, in Portland, Oregon. She also struggles with PTSD from her time as a Marine in Afghanistan, where she worked in military intelligence until she was injured by an explosion which killed her college sweetheart and former lover. Burdened by heavy gambling debts and unable to hold down a steady job, she becomes a private investigator to solve problems where the police cannot get involved. Detective Miles Hoffman refers problems to her, and Grey McConnell, a bar owner and Dex’s closest friend, provides moral support and employs her brother Ansel at his bar.
- Cobie Smulders as Dex Parios, a Marine veteran who now works as a private investigator to support her brother and dig her way out of debt.
- Jake Johnson as Grey McConnell, an ex-con, owner of the Bad Alibi bar, and Dex’s closest friend.
- Tantoo Cardinal as Sue Lynn Blackbird, the owner of a tribal casino and mother of Dex’s deceased boyfriend.
- Cole Sibus as Ansel Parios, Dex’s brother who has Down syndrome and works as a bar-back at the Bad Alibi.
- Adrian Martinez as Tookie, a food truck owner who serves as an informant for Dex.
- Camryn Manheim as Lieutenant Cosgrove, Detective Hoffman’s supervisor.
- Michael Ealy as Detective Miles Hoffman, Dex’s contact at the Portland Police Bureau.
- Gregory Zaragoza as Hollis Green, Sue Lynn Blackbird’s right-hand man.
- Monica Barbaro as Liz Melero, a bartender at the Bad Alibi who also dated Grey.
- Fiona Rene as Detective Kara Lee, Hoffman’s partner.
- Selwyn Huqueriza as Victor, Tookie’s assistant chef.
- Tommy O’Brien as Charles “Chaz” Wyatt, a car thief who works with Scuzzy.
- Inbar Lavi as Max, a mechanic and member of the auto theft ring who wants to get out of it. She forms a romantic relationship with Grey.
- Robert Adamson as Jeremy Stevens, a vet who befriends Dex after she helps him find his birth family.
- Cynthia Addai-Robinson as “Violet”, an assassin sent to reclaim the drugs stolen by Leo’s crew.
- Troian Bellisario as Jenna Marshall, a prospective bride whose fiancé Dex is hired to investigate.
- Steven Williams as Lionel Hoffman, Miles’ father, a prominent local defence attorney, whom Miles is estranged from.
- Denise Dowse as Mrs. Hoffman, Miles’ mother.
- Matt Craven as Michael McConnell, Grey’s father who abandoned him many years before.
- Román Zaragoza as Hollis Green’s nephew.
Stumptown is an American comic book limited series and later ongoing, written by Greg Rucka with art by Matthew Southworth. The first series launched by Oni Press on 04 November 2009 and ran for four issues. A second miniseries began in September 2012 and ran for five issues and a third volume, this time ongoing, began in September 2014.
The comic book is a modern-day detective fiction series based in Portland, Oregon, featuring Dex Parios, a bisexual female private investigator with a gambling problem.
On 29 January 2019, it was announced that ABC had given the production a pilot order. The pilot was written by Jason Richman who executive produces alongside with Ruben Fleischer, Dave Bernad, Greg Rucka, Matthew Southworth and Justin Greenwood. Production companies involved with the pilot include The District and ABC Studios. On May 8, 2019, it was announced that the production had been given a series order. A day after that, it was announced that the series would premiere in the fall of 2019 and air on Wednesdays at 10:00 pm. The series premiered on 25 September 2019. On 28 October 2019, the series received a full season order.
On 21 May 2020, ABC renewed the series for a second season. On 25 July 2020, Monica Owusu-Breen joined the series as an executive producer for the second season.
In February 2019, it was announced that Cobie Smulders had been cast in the pilot’s lead role. Alongside the series order announcement, it was reported that Michael Ealy, Mark Webber and Camryn Manheim had joined the cast in starring roles. On 11 May 2019, it was reported that Webber, who was originally cast to play the male lead opposite Smulders in the series, had exited and his role would be recast. On 29 May 2019, Jake Johnson was cast as Grey McConnell, replacing Webber.
At the 2019 San Diego Comic Con preview of the pilot, Cobie Smulders confirmed that Dex’s bisexuality would “definitely be addressed in the series”. Smulder described Dex as “definitely attracted to women and men … she tries to recover from her PTSD through sex. She’s up for anything — it’s one of the things that drew me to this character.”
Although set in Portland, the series is filmed in Los Angeles. However, the pilot episode, filmed mostly in Vancouver, B.C., included a few scenes shot in Portland.
- The title Stumptown is a nickname for the city of Portland, where the series is set.
- In October 2019, ABC issued a full season order.
- In May 2020, the series was renewed for a second season.
- Series 01 (2019-2020).
- Series 02 (?2021-2022).
- Renewed for a second series in May 2020.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Jason Richman.
- Producer(s): Greg Rucka, Matthew Southworth, Justin Greenwood, Kristin Newman, Marc Buckland, Ruben Fleischer, David Bernad, David Zabel, James Griffiths, Jason Richman, Monica Owusu-Breen, Vail Romeyn, David A. Rosemont, and Louisa Levy.
- Music: Tyler Bates.
- Cinematography: G. Magni Agustsson and Clark Mathis.
- Editor(s): Andrew Groves, Sondra Watanabe, Lance Luckey, Nicole Vaskell, and Katharine Neville.
- Production: Don’t Tell Mom, The District, ABC Studios (season 01), and ABC Signature (season 02).
- Distributor(s): Disney-ABC Domestic Television.
- Original Network: ABC.
- Release Date: 25 September 2019 to 25 March 2020.
- Running Time: 42-43 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.