Tour of Duty is an American military drama television series based on events in the Vietnam War, broadcast on CBS.
The series ran for three seasons, from 24 September 1987 to 28 April 1990, for a total of 58 one-hour episodes. The show was created by Steve Duncan and L. Travis Clark and produced by Zev Braun.
The show follows an American infantry platoon on a tour of duty during the Vietnam War. It was the first television series to regularly show Americans in combat in South Vietnam and was one of several similarly themed series to be produced in the wake of the acclaimed Oliver Stone film Platoon (1986).
Tour of Duty examined the issues of politics, faith, teamwork, racism, suicide, fragging, terrorism, civilian deaths, sexuality, drug abuse, and how the lives of soldiers and civilians were permanently affected by the Vietnam War.
For the second and third seasons, the series was filmed around Los Angeles, California, to reduce the budget. The same locations, notably a small river with grass on one bank and woods on the other, were reused in a number of episodes. The old set of war comedy-drama television series M*A*S*H was also used for filming.
In Tour of Duty’s third season, the remaining female character was killed off, and the platoon was transferred to a SOG unit under the command of Colonel Brewster (played by Carl Weathers). The unit conducted covert operations in Vietnam and Cambodia which included a fictional version of the raid on Son Tay Prison. The show was cancelled at the end of this season due to falling ratings.
Guest stars included Lee Majors, James Hong, Mako, Kelly Hu, Angela Bassett, Ving Rhames, Melora Hardin, Everett McGill, Olivia d’Abo, David Alan Grier, Richard Brooks, and Michael Madsen.
Tour of Duty Series
You can find a full index and overview of Tour of Duty here.
- Episode 01: The Luck.
- Episode 02: Doc Hock.
- Episode 03: The Ties That Bind.
- Episode 04: Lonely at the Top.
- Episode 05: A Bodyguard of Lies.
- Episode 06: A Necessary End.
- Episode 07: Cloud Nine.
- Episode 08: Thanks for the Memories.
- Episode 09: I Am What I Am.
- Episode 10: World in Changes.
- Episode 11: Green Christmas.
- Episode 12: Odd Man Out.
- Episode 13: And Make Death Proud to Take Us.
- Episode 14: Dead Man Tales.
- Episode 15: Road to Long Binh.
- Episode 16: Acceptable Losses.
- Episode 17: Vietnam Rag.
- Episode 18: War Is a Contact Sport.
- Episode 19: Three Cheers for the Orange, White and Blue.
- Episode 20: The Raid.
- Episode 21: Payback.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 23 September 1989 to 28 April 1990.
- Running Time: 47 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: TV-14/15.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.