Commando is a series of Indian Hindi-language action thriller films produced by Vipul Amrutlal Shah under the banner of Sunshine Pictures. The film series is co-produced and distributed by Reliance Entertainment.
The first film Commando: A One Man Army was released in 2013 is directed by Dilip Ghosh, the second film Commando 02: The Black Money Trail released in 2017 is directed by Deven Bhojani while the third film Commando 03 is directed by Aditya Datt released in 2019.
The series follows the story of an Indian Commando named “Karanveer Singh Dogra” (Karan) (Vidyut Jammwal) and his missions. The protagonist’s name is inspired by Karan Singh, the Dogra dynasty ex-crown prince of Jammu and Kashmir. Jammwal, who is trained in the Indian martial arts of Kalaripayattu, performs his own stunts and martial arts in the film’s action sequences.
Commando 01: A One Man Army (2013)
The Chinese government incarcerates Karan, an Indian commando, accusing him of being an Indian spy, after he survives a plane crash in their territory. He must find a way to escape the enemy camp.
A four-member team goes on a covert mission to bring back Vicky Chaddha, a money launderer, from Malaysia. However, things get complicated after one of the members gets shot.
Commando 03 (2019)
Upon learning of a possible threat to their country, officers Karan and Bhavana set out on a mission to London to stop a terrorist attack on India.
Commando 04 (TBA)
On 19 June 2019, before the Release of Commando 3 the Producer of Commando franchise, Vipul Amrutlal Shah said, “The fact that we have been able to complete three films is satisfying. The franchise, in my mind, is set to become even bigger and I don’t think we will stop at three.” He added, “We have already identified the story which we want to tell with Commando 4, but for that, this film (Commando 3) needs to be a hit. We are confident that this one will give us the opportunity to do that.”
On 04 December 2019, after the success of Commando 3, Vidyut Jammwal said, “There was obviously pressure but then there was excitement as well. But I think we’re used to this style of life. Now, we have been discussing about how Vipul Amrutlal Shah wants to do Commando 4.”
- Commando 02 is the only film in the series to be released along with its Tamil and Telugu dubbed versions.
- Commando 01: A One Man Army (2013).
- Commando 02: The Black Money Trail (2017).
- Commando 03 (2019).
- Commando 04 (TBA).
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Dilip Ghosh (1), Deven Bhojani (2), and Aditya Datt (3).
- Producer(s): Vipul Amrutlal Shah (1-3), Reliance Entertainment (1-3), Dhaval Jayantilal Gada (2), and Motion Picture Capital (3).
- Writer(s): Ritesh Shah (1-2), Suresh Nair (2), Darius Yarmil(3), and Junaid Wasi (3).
- Music: Mannan Shaah (1-3, songs), Gourov Roshin (2, songs), Vikram Montrose (3, songs), Prasad Sasthe (1-2, score), and Saurabh Bhalerao (3, score).
- Cinematography: Sejal Shah (1), Chirantan Das (2), and Mark Hamilton (3).
- Editor(s): Amitabh Shukla (1-2), Sanjay Sharma (2), and Sandeep Kurup (3).
- Production: Sunshine Pictures (1-3), Reliance Entertainment (1-3), Pen India Limited (2), and Motion Picture Capital (3).
- Distributor(s): Reliance Entertainment.
- Release Date: 12 April 2013 (1), 03 March 2017 (2), and 29 November 2019 (3).
- Running Time: 124 to 144 minutes.
- Rating: Unrated.
- Country: India.
- Language: Hindi, Tamil (dubbed), and Telugu (dubbed).