SEAL Team is an American military action drama television series created by Benjamin Cavell. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios, and the first series began airing on CBS on 27 September 2017. The second series aired on 03 October 2018, the third series on 02 October 2019, and the fourth series on 02 December 2020.
The series follows an elite unit of United States Navy SEALs portrayed by David Boreanaz, Max Thieriot, Jessica Paré, Neil Brown Jr., A. J. Buckley, and Toni Trucks.
The series follows Bravo Team, a sub-unit of the United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group, the most elite unit of Navy SEALs, as they plan and undertake dangerous missions worldwide with little notice, and the burden on them and their families.
- David Boreanaz as Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Jason Hayes:
- Aka Bravo 1/1B, leader of a Navy SEAL team (Bravo Team) dealing with the recent loss of one of their own.
- Max Thieriot as Special Warfare Operator First Class Clay Spencer:
- Promoted from SO2 in Season 3.
- Aka Bravo 6/6B, a second-generation Navy SEAL in training for Tier One status who is questioned as to his readiness for combat.
- He becomes a member of Bravo Team at the end of “The Exchange”, and briefly served as the team’s second-in-command twice.
- Jessica Paré as Amanda “Mandy” Ellis:
- Bravo Team’s CIA liaison.
- Due to her actions of giving up the location of a CIA asset in “My Life for Yours”, Mandy is demoted from her rank of officer and is now serving as an interrogator for the CIA.
- Neil Brown Jr. as Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Raymond “Ray” Perry:
- Aka Bravo 2/2B, Jason’s most trusted friend and the longest tenured member of the team.
- A. J. Buckley as Special Warfare Operator First Class Sonny Quinn:
- Aka Bravo 3/3B, a loyal but sometimes volatile SEAL who is at his best in firefights and prefers them over a leadership position.
- Toni Trucks as Ensign Lisa Davis, formerly Logistics Specialist First Class.
- Since season 3, a DEVGRU Intelligence Officer assigned primarily to Bravo Team.
- Judd Lormand as Lieutenant Commander Eric Blackburn:
- Bravo Team’s commanding officer (recurring season 1; main season 2 to present).
Following the success of History Channel’s Six, on 17 January 2017, it was announced that CBS had given the pilot order for another Navy SEAL project. The episode was written and authored by Benjamin Cavell who was expected to be an executive producer, alongside Ed Redlich, Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly, Christopher Chulack. Production companies involved with the pilot include Chulack Productions, East 25 C, Timberman/Beverly Productions and CBS Television Studios. On 12 May 2017, CBS officially ordered the pilot to series. A few days later, it was announced that the series, now titled SEAL Team, would premiere by 27 September 2017 and air on Wednesdays at 9:00 pm.
The series received a full-season order on 12 October 2017, bringing the first season to a total of 22 episodes. On 27 March 2018, CBS renewed the series for a second season which premiered on 03 October 2018. On 22 May 2018, it was reported that both Cavell and Redlich were exiting their roles as executive producer and showrunner, and John Glenn replacing him as showrunner. On 06 May 2020, CBS renewed the series for a fourth season, which is set to premiere by fall 2020.
On 14 March 2017, it was announced that Jim Caviezel would topline CBS’ then-untitled Navy SEAL drama pilot but on 22 March 2017, it was announced that David Boreanaz had been cast in the pilot’s lead role of Jason, replacing Caviezel. On 08 March 2017, it was reported that A.J. Buckley would play Sonny. On 15 August 2018 it was reported that Judd Lormand had been upgraded to series regular for season 2. On 08 August 2018, it was announced that Michael McGrady and Ruffin Prentiss would recur as Captain Harrington and Summer Kairos in the series’ second season. On 10 July 2019, it was reported that Jamie McShane and Rudy Dobrev were cast in recurring roles for the third season. On 07 August 2019, Emily Swallow was cast in a recurring capacity for the third season.
- Over 75 US Military veterans have been hired for background characters and stunt work.
- Tyler Grey, who plays Trent a.k.a Bravo 3, is a former US Army Ranger.
- He served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, 2nd Battalion as a sniper.
- He was medically discharged after sustaining injuries from an improvised explosive device in 2005.
- His wounds are noticeable on his right forearm.
- David Boreanaz first got offered and passed on SEAL team after just coming off a long 12 year run on Bones (2005) but when it came back to him in hope he would change his mind, he decided to do it.
- The Special Patrol Insert Extraction (SPIE) system used by the blackhawk to rescue Bravo Team in S02E21 was a first for network TV, it has never been done before on broadcast.
- The character of Jason is based on Mark Owen, an alias for a Navy SEAL Tier One leader who has written two books including one about the mission that killed Osama Bin Laden.
- Scenes from S02E15 were shot at Camp Pendleton, near San Diego, with active service US Marines.
- “Going Winchester” means to run out of ammo.
SEAL Team Series
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Benjamin Cavell.
- Producer(s): Benjamin Cavell, Ed Redlich, Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly, Christopher Chulack, John Glenn, David Boreanaz, Mark Owen, Spencer Hudnut, Todd Lewis, Kate DiMento, Chris Leanza.
- Music: W.G. Snuffy Walden and A. Patrick Rose.
- Cinematography: Gonzalo Amat and J. Michael Muro.
- Editor(s): Adam Wolfe and Mark Semos.
- Production: Chulack Productions, East 25 C, Timberman/Beverly Productions, John Glenn Entertainment, and CBS Television Studios.
- Distributor(s): CBS Television Distribution.
- Original Network: CBS.
- Release Date:
- Series 01: 27 September 2017 to 16 May 2018.
- Series 02: 03 October 2018 to 22 May 2019.
- Series 03: 02 October 2019 to 06 May 2020.
- Series 04: 02 December 2020 to 26 May 2021.
- Running Time: 43 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: TV-14.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.