The K2 (Korean: 더 케이투; RR: Deo Keitu) is a 2016 South Korean television series starring Ji Chang-wook and Im Yoon-ah.
It premiered on tvN every Friday and Saturday at 20:00 (KST) from 23 September to 12 November 2016 for 16 episodes.
Kim Je-ha is a former mercenary soldier for the PMC Blackstone. While in Iraq, he gets framed for the murder of his lover Raniya, a civilian. As a result, he runs away and becomes a fugitive.
He returns to South Korea and by chance, gets offered to work as a bodyguard by Choi Yoo-jin, the owner of JSS Security Company and wife of the presidential candidate, Jang-Se joon. He accepts the job in exchange for resources that he needs in order to get his revenge on another presidential candidate, Park Kwan-soo, who previously ordered the killing of his lover.
In the meantime, Je-ha gets assigned to guard Go An-na, the hidden daughter of Jang Se-joon, whose life is always threatened because of Yoo-jin, her stepmother. An-na, who has been reclused and lonely all her life, starts relying on Je-ha, who shows concern for her and protects her at all costs.
They slowly fall in love with each other, which makes Je-ha torn between having to work with his ally, Yoo-jin, in order to get his revenge and protecting his new found love, An-na, against his own ally.
- Ji Chang-wook as Kim Je-ha.
- Choi Seung-hun as young Kim Je-ha.
- The main protagonist of the series.
- He is a former military operative stationed in Iraq until he returns to South Korea after being framed for murder.
- When his skills get noticed by Choi Yoo-Jin, she hires him to work for her security agency JSS Security under the codename K2, and is tasked with body-guarding Go An-na, the secret illegitimate daughter of her husband, Jang Se-joon.
- Song Yoon-ah as Choi Yoo-jin.
- She is the current wife of Jang Se-joon and the eldest daughter of a chaebol family.
- Ambitious yet merciless, her corrupted nature is due to the result of her upbringing and has her sights set on becoming the First Lady.
- As such, she is willing to manipulate Anna and her husband to further her ways.
- As the series progresses, she begins to develop feelings for Je-ha after he rescued her from an exploding car.
- Im Yoon-ah as Go Anna.
- Lee Yoo-joo as young Go An-na.
- She is the illegitimate daughter of Jang Se-joon who is kept hidden from the public eye to protect his political career.
- Growing up under the constant surveillance of her cruel stepmother Choi Yoo-jin, she has developed a social phobia and experiences panic attacks from flashing lights, a result of her PTSD stemming from her past regarding the death of her biological mother.
- She returns to South Korea from Barcelona and becomes a pawn in her stepmother’s plan to control her husband’s political career from behind-the-scenes.
- Jo Sung-ha as Jang Se-joon.
- He is a philandering presidential candidate partially responsible for corrupting his wife and An-na’s father.
- He is unwillingly under the control of his corrupted wife and is blackmailed to do her bidding.
- Throughout the series, he did not seem to show any care for his daughter, but later he reveals to Je-ha that he truly loves her and was willing to submit to his wife just to keep An-na safe.
- Kim Kap-soo as Park Kwan-soo.
- He is Se-joon’s political rival and leader of the current ruling party. He is the main antagonist of the series.
- Ji Chang-wook as Kim Je-ha.
- Lee Jung-jin as Choi Sung-won.
- Yoo-jin’s younger half-brother and the current CEO of JB Group.
- Both he and his sister are at odds for the majority stakes of both JSS Security and their family company.
- He also constantly tries to get Je-ha to join him, believing him to be a powerful person, but Je-ha continusouly refuses, until Sung-won is forced to do it by force.
- Shin Dong-mi as Kim Dong-mi
- She is Yoo-jin’s personal secretary and right-hand woman. She greatly dislikes Je-ha and attempted to kill him on several occasions.
- Lee Ye-eun as Jang Mi-ran.
- She is one of the personal bodyguards working alongside Je-ha to protect An-na, operating under the codename J4.
- She had a crush on Je-ha at first, but later accepted Sung-gyu’s confession of love.
- Lee Jae-woo as Kang Sung-gyu.
- He is one of the personal bodyguards working alongside Je-ha and Mi-ran to protect An-na, operating under the codename K1.
- He is in love with Mi-ran, who later reciprocated his feelings.
- Lee Chul-min as Park Kwan-soo’s aide.
- Song Kyung-chul as Song Young-chun.
- So Hee-jung as Head of JSS medical team.
- Lee Jung-jin as Choi Sung-won.
- Park Soon-chun as Choi Sung-won’s mother.
- Jeon Bae-soo as Joo Chul-ho.
- Ko In-beom as Guk Chae-wan.
- Lee Soon-won as JSS body guard team leader.
- Jo Jae-ryong as Secretary Sung.
- Kim Ik-tae as Old man helping Je-ha.
- Kwon Soo-hyun as Bodyguard.
- Jung Ji-young as Noh Ji-yeon.
- Yeom Hye-ran as Housekeeper.
- Park Gun.
- Joo Jae-byun.
- Yoo In-hyuk as Dong-mi’s bodyguard and former baseball player.
- Yoon Joo-bin.
- Oh Sang-hoon as Battalion captain.
- Kim Kyung-ryong as Lee Kyung-jin.
- Ji Yoon-jae as Kwan-soo’s bodyguard and detective with scar.
- Jung Se-hyung as Detective.
- Park Kyun-rak as Prosecutor.
- Kim Hyun as Helper.
- Carson Allen as Raniya.
- Special appearances:
- Joo Sae-byuk as Woman having affair with Jang Se-joon (Ep.1).
- Son Tae-young as Uhm Hye-rin, An-na’s mother and a former famous star.
- Jo Hee-bong as Police officer.
- Sung Dong-il as Police officer (Ep. 3).
- Yoo Seung-mok as Congressman Kim.
- Lee Han-wi as President’s secretary (Ep. 10).
- Jo Dong-hyuk as JSS Special Ops captain (Ep. 8).
- Choi Jung-min.
- Park Jung-sang.
The drama is written by scriptwriter Jang Hyuk-rin, who wrote Yong-pal (2015) and directed by Kwak Jung-hwan of Neighbourhood Hero (2016).
Being depicted with a bodyguard action theme, the drama utilised various fighting techniques including systema, taekwondo, aikido, and jujutsu for its action scenes. It became the first Korean television drama to introduce the Bullet Time effect.
The first script reading was held in August 2016 at the CJ E&M Centre in Seoul, South Korea. Filming began in September.
Some scenes of the drama, primarily in episodes 1 and 2, were filmed in Catalonia (along the mountain of Montserrat, the Gothic and Baroque Cistercian Monastery of Santes Creus in Aiguamúrcia), followed by various places in Barcelona (center, Old City, etc., as well as various metro / commuter rail stations such as Plaça d’Espanya and Magòria / La Campana), Gaudí’s Modernista Colònia Güell Crypt (fashion show party) among other locations in Spain (probably near Almería for the Iraq War desert locations). The closing scene of episode 16 was filmed at Barcelona’s Turó de la Rovira hill. The rest of the series was apparently filmed in Korea.
The male lead Ji Chang-wook, due to his casting, became the highest-paid actor for a tvN drama. He had special training and performed the action stunts in the drama by himself, without a body double. At the press conference, director Kwak expressed “On top of Ji’s splendid action, the drama will tell the story of insatiable desire and political fights between people holding secrets of their own.”
The drama received favorable reviews, topping cable channel viewership ratings throughout its 8-week broadcast.
It was praised by viewers for good performances.
The drama streams internationally on DramaFever with English subtitles. Its broadcasting rights were sold to Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, China, Thailand, Israel and Greece.
The K2 Series
- Episode 01.
- Episode 02.
- Episode 03.
- Episode 04.
- Episode 05.
- Episode 06.
- Episode 07.
- Episode 08.
- Episode 09.
- Episode 10.
- Episode 11.
- Episode 12.
- Episode 13.
- Episode 14.
- Episode 15.
- Episode 16.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Jung-Hwan Kwak.
- Producer(s): Mi-Kyung Kim.
- Writer(s): Hyeok-rin Jang.
- Production: HB Entertainment and Studio Dragon (created by).
- Distributor(s): tvN (2016) and Netflix (2019).
- Release Date: 23 September 2016 to 12 November 2016.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Rating: PG.
- Country: Korea.
- Language: Korean.