Boss Level is an upcoming science fiction action film directed by Joe Carnahan and written by Carnahan, Chris Borey and Eddie Borey. It stars Frank Grillo as a retired special forces soldier who tries to escape a never-ending time loop that results in his death. Mel Gibson, Naomi Watts and Michelle Yeoh co-star.
Boss Level was announced in November 2017, and was produced by Carnahan, Grillo, Randall Emmett and George Furla. Filming took place in Georgia from March to May 2018. The film was originally scheduled to be released by Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures on 16 August 2019, but was delayed. It was subsequently bought by Hulu, which will release it in 2021.
Roy Pulver, a retired special forces soldier, finds himself trapped in a sinister programme, which results in a never-ending time loop leading to his death.
- Frank Grillo as Roy Pulver.
- Mel Gibson as Colonel Clive Ventor.
- Naomi Watts as Jemma Wells.
- Michelle Yeoh as Dai Feng.
- Will Sasso as Brett.
- Annabelle Wallis as Alice.
- Rob Gronkowski as Gunner.
- Ken Jeong as Chef Jake.
- Mathilde Ollivier as Gabrielle.
- Selina Lo as Guan Yin.
- Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans as Germon Twins.
- Meadow Williams as Pam.
- Sheaun McKinney as Dave.
- Aaron Beelner as Kaboom.
Filming for the film, formerly called Continue, was due to begin in 2012. Director Joe Carnahan planned to direct the film from his own script with 20th Century Fox. In September 2012, Carnahan presented a screen test with actor Frank Grillo.
It was announced in November 2017 that Mel Gibson and Frank Grillo were negotiating to star in the film Boss Level, with Joe Carnahan writing and directing. Further casting continued in March 2018 with the additions of Will Sasso, Naomi Watts, Annabelle Wallis and Rob Gronkowski. Filming began that month in Savannah, Georgia. Ken Jeong, Mathilde Ollivier, Selina Lo and Michelle Yeoh joined the cast the following month.
In April 2018, filming took place in Atlanta, including in Pullman Yard, the Oakland City MARTA station, and near the Georgia Aquarium. Filming also took place in Decatur. A restaurant scene was filmed in Atlanta on 12 and 13 May 2018. On May 13, Screen Daily reported that filming had wrapped. The film’s budget was $45 million.
In April 2018, Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures acquired US distribution rights to the film. It was scheduled to be released on 16 August 2019, but missed its release date.
A special free advance screening of the film, sponsored by entertainment website Collider, was held at the ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood on 11 February 2020, followed by a Q&A session with Grillo and Carnahan.
In June 2020, Entertainment Studios dropped the film. In November 2020, the film was acquired in an eight-figure deal by Hulu, which plans to release it in 2021.
- Mel Gibson’s second film with Frank Grillo after Edge of Darkness from 2010.
- The Black UH-1 used in the film is from Cairo, Ga and is known as “Huey Bee”.
- The Huey was provided by RJR Props in Atlanta, GA.
- RJR Props owns a fleet of aircraft. RJR also manages the rental of other aircraft which are on loan for use in the Film & Television Industry.
- The Huey is maintained by it is owner located in Cairo, Ga.
- The helicopter is transported on a custom trailer, and it can be seen at many events in a 200 mile radius, and at events such as the annual Rattlesnake Roundup in Whigham, Ga.
- Ken Jeong and Rob Gronkowski have worked together before in the third season of The Masked Singer (2020).
- Ken Jeong stands as one of the four main judges and Rob Gronkowski appeared as one of the contestants.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Joe Carnahan.
- Producer(s): Joe Carnahan, Frank Grillo, Randall Emmett, and George Furla.
- Writer(s): Chris Borey, Eddie Borey, and Joe Carnahan.
- Music: Clinton Shorter.
- Cinematography: Juan Miguel Azpiroz.
- Editor(s): Kevin Hale.
- Production: Highland Film Group, Emmett/Furla Oasis, Diamond Film Productions, The Fyzz, Ingenious Media, Scott Free Films, and WarParty.
- Distributor(s): Hulu.
- Release Date: 2021.
- Running Time: 100 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.