Shooter is an American drama television series based on the 2007 film of the same name and the 1993 novel Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.
The show stars Ryan Phillippe in the lead role of Bob Lee Swagger, a retired US Marine Corps sniper living in seclusion who is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the President.
- Ryan Phillippe as Bob Lee Swagger, a highly trained Force Recon Marine and MARSOC CSO Scout Sniper.
- Shantel VanSanten as Julie Swagger, Bob Lee’s wife.
- Cynthia Addai-Robinson as Nadine Memphis, an FBI agent investigating Swagger.
- Eddie McClintock as Jack Payne, a figure involved in the conspiracy against Swagger (season 1; guest, season 3).
- Omar Epps as Isaac Johnson, a Secret Service Agent who is also a former Force Recon Marine captain, MARSOC CSO, and commanding officer of Swagger.
- Josh Stewart as Solotov, a Chechen master sniper with whom Bob Lee has tangled before (seasons 2-3).
- Jesse Bradford as Harris Downey, a D.C. staffer who was once involved with Nadine (recurring, season 2; main, season 3).
- Gerald McRaney as Red Bama Sr., owner of Bama Cattle and an Undersecretary in the Department of Agriculture (season 3).
- David Andrews as Sam Vincent, Bob Lee’s close friend and lawyer (season 1, 3).
- David Marciano as Howard Utey, Nadine Memphis’ superior at the FBI (season 1).
- Lexy Kolker as Mary Swagger, Bob Lee’s and Julie’s daughter.
- William Fichtner as Rathford O’Brien, Bob Lee’s former shooting instructor.
- Tom Sizemore as Hugh Meachum, a CIA black ops operative with mysterious motives (season 1).
- Rob Brown as Donny Fenn, Swagger’s best friend and spotter who was killed by Solotov (seasons 1-2).
- Sean Cameron Michael as Grigory Krukov, a Russian FSB agent (season 1).
- Delaina Mitchell as Anna Wallingford, Julie’s married sister and Mary’s aunt (season 1, 3).
- David Chisum as Jim Wallingford, Anna’s husband and Julie’s brother in law (season 1).
- Michelle Krusiec as Lin Johnson, Isaac’s loyal wife (season 1-2).
- Matt Shallenberger as John Wheeler, a mysterious and deadly Atlas operative (guest: season 1, recurring: season 3).
- Desmond Harrington as Lon Scott, the CEO of Anhur Dynamics (season 1).
- Beverly D’Angelo as Patricia Gregson, a former National Security Advisor.
- Jerry Ferrara as Kirk Zehnder, a former marine who always detects a conspiracy and is part of the core team of Bob Lee Swagger (season 2).
- Todd Lowe as Colin Dobbs, a former marine in Swagger’s unit, now living in Texas an hour from the Swagger Ranch (season 2).
- Patrick Sabongui as Yusuf Ali, a core member of Swagger’s original Marine team (season 2).
- Jaina Lee Ortiz as Angela Tio, an active duty Marine who formerly served with Bob Lee’s unit (season 2).
- John Marshall Jones as Sheriff Brown, the local law enforcement in Bob Lee’s hometown and a long-time friend (season 2-3).
- Harry Hamlin as Senator Addison Hayes, a mysterious and powerful mastermind whose agenda will collide with Swagger (seasons 2-3).
- Troy Garity as Jeffrey Denning, a seasoned investigative journalist who cares deeply about justice being served (season 2).
- Derek Phillips as Earl Swagger, Bob Lee’s father, a Vietnam veteran who was sheriff in Bob Lee’s hometown before he was killed in 1988 (season 3).
- Tait Blum as Young Bob Lee (season 3).
- Conor O’Farrell as Rick Culp, a West Texas prison guard who may have been involved in Earl Swagger’s death (season 3).
- Eric Ladin as Red Bama Jr., Red Sr’s screw-up of a son who desperately wants his father’s respect and confidence (season 3).
- Brian Letscher as Bert Salinger, an employee of Red Bama Sr. who watches over Red Jr. (season 3).
- Felisha Terrell as Carlita Cruise, a former Atlas operative embedded in the Dept. of Agriculture who helps Nadine and Isaac take down her former employers (season 3).
- Mallory Jansen as Margo, an Agent for the Department of Justice who has been attempting to bring down Atlas for years (season 3).
- Kurt Fuller as Andrew Gold, the Deputy Chief of Staff to the US President and high ranking Atlas member (season 3).
- Dee Wallace as Katherine Mansfield, the long-time former mission planner for Atlas who is now forced to reside in a mental institution (season 3).
- Michael O’Neill as Ray Brooks, a Federal judge nominated for a vacancy on the US Supreme Court and Atlas operative (season 3).
On 06 July 2016, while filming a scene at Agua Dulce Airpark, actor Tom Sizemore accidentally ran over a stuntman. Sizemore was supposed to enter the Cadillac Escalade and stay there until the scene ended, but the stunt coordinator told him to pull out, not realising that the stuntman was behind him.
On 26 July 2017, the second-season episode order was cut back from the planned ten episodes to the eight episodes already filmed after Ryan Phillippe broke his leg on 16 July 2017, in an incident unrelated to the series.
Shooter aired on Thursdays at 10:00 pm on USA Network. The episodes are approximately 43 minutes, and are broadcast in both high- and standard definition. In addition, the streaming service Netflix started to broadcast the series in certain regions worldwide, the first season weekly on 15 November 2016, with a one-day delay with respect to the original United States broadcast.
Shooter received mixed reviews from critics.
- USA Network picked up the pilot in August 2015 and ordered the series in February 2016.
- The series was originally set to premiere on 19 July 2016, but it was postponed to 26 July due to the 07 July Dallas police officer shootings.
- USA pulled it entirely after the Baton Rouge police officer shootings on 17 July.
- On 03 October 2016, USA announced that the new premiere date for Shooter would be 15 November 2016.
- On 19 December 2016, the series was renewed for a second season that premiered on 18 July 2017.
- On 04 December 2017, the series was renewed for a third season.
- On 15 August 2018, USA Network cancelled Shooter after three seasons, and its final episode aired on 13 September 2018.
- Series 01 (2016-2017):
- Series 02 (2017):
- Series 03 (2018):
- Episode 01: Backroads.
- Episode 02: Red Meat.
- Episode 03: Sins of the Father.
- Episode 04: The Importance of Service.
- Episode 05: A Call to Arms.
- Episode 06: Lines Crossed.
- Episode 07: Swing Vote.
- Episode 08: The Red Badge.
- Episode 09: Alpha Dog.
- Episode 10: Orientation Day.
- Episode 11: Family Fire.
- Episode 12: Patron Saint.
- Episode 13: Red Light.
Production & Filming Details
- Developed By: John Hlavin.
- Season 01: Simon Cellan Jones, Roxann Dawson, Adam Davison, Christoph Schrewe, and Kevin Bray.
- Season 02: Yuval Adler, Jaime Reynoso, David Straiton, Lukas Ettlin, and Chloe Domont.
- Season 03: David Straiton, Millicent Shelton, Ami Canaan Mann, Hanelle Culpepper. Chloe Domont, Christoph Schrewe, Jessica Lowrey, Amanda Marsalis, and Jaime Reynoso.
- Producer(s): Lorenzo di Bonaventura, John Hlavin, Stephen Levinson, Mark Wahlberg, and Ryan Phillippe.
- Season 01: John Hlavin, Jonathan Lemkin, Adam E. Fierro, T.J. Brady, Rasheed Newson, Dara Resnik, Matt Bosack, Tim Talbot, and Matthew Newman.
- Season 02: John Hlavin, Will Staples, T.J. Brady, Rasheed Newson, Kate Barrow, Jennifer Cacicio, Matthew Newman, and Scott Gold.
- Season 03: T.J. Brady, Rasheed Newson, John Hlavin, Amanda Segel, Jennifer Cacicio, Matt Bosack, Scott Gold, Tim Walsh, Desta Tedros Reff, Eric Anderson, David Daitch, and Katie Johnson.
- Music: Bobby Krlic.
- Cinematography: Michael Eley and Jamie Reynoso.
- Editor(s): Gary D. Roach, William Yeh, Amy McGrath, and Zack Arnold.
- Production: Leverage Entertainment, Closest to the Hole Productions, Universal Cable Productions, and Paramount Television.
- Distributor(s): NBC Universal Television Distribution.
- Release Date: 15 November 2016 to 13 September 2018.
- Running Time: 60 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: 15.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.