Fauda (Hebrew: פאודה, from Arabic: فوضى fawḍā, meaning “chaos”) is an Israeli television series developed by Lior Raz and Avi Issacharoff drawing on their experiences in the Israel Defence Forces.
The series premiered on 15 February 2015. It tells the story of Doron, a commander in the Mista’arvim unit and his team as they pursue a Hamas arch-terrorist known as “The Panther.”
The first season was filmed in Kafr Qasim during the 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict, and premiered on 15 February 2015. The second season premiered on 31 December 2017. The third season takes place in the Gaza Strip and aired in 2019 and 2020. A fourth season is believed to be in development.
Outline (Season 01)
Eighteen months prior to the start of the show, the Israeli soldier Doron and his unit were credited with killing the terrorist Taufiq Hammed. Following this, Doron retires from service in order to grow a vineyard. At the beginning of season 1 Doron is visited by Moreno, the commander of his old unit, who informs him that Taufiq Hammed is still alive and plans to attend his brother Bashir’s wedding. Doron rejoins his team in order to go undercover at the wedding. Ultimately they are discovered and Bashir is killed, moments before Taufiq is to arrive. Although Doron is able to shoot Taufiq, and injures him, Taufiq escapes.
Taufiq barely survives the gunshot wound and is forced to have secret emergency surgery so as to not reveal that he is alive or where he is. Doron convinces Moreno to allow him to stay on with the unit until they catch Taufiq. Bashir’s family all mourn him as a shahid (martyr) and his wife, Amal, vows revenge. Taufiq’s right-hand man, Walid, convinces his cousin Shirin to help Taufiq escape from the hospital minutes before Doron’s team arrives.
Amal, distraught over Bashir’s death, volunteers to bomb a nightclub which Boaz, Doron’s brother-in-law and a member of his unit, frequents. This will ensure that the Israelis get the message that it is revenge on Boaz for the killing of Bashir. The plan is for Amal to arm the bomb in her purse and then leave the club three minutes before its detonation. However, Amal decides to stay and die in the explosion. Boaz regains consciousness following the blast and finds his girlfriend’s body. Boaz does not handle the discovery well, and after getting pulled over, physically assaults the police and ends up in jail.
While on a mission, Boaz gets captured and is held hostage by Hamas. Doron and his team decide to prepare an unapproved mission to kidnap Taufiq’s friend Sheikh Awadalla in an attempt to get Boaz back. When Doron finds out that Taufiq had a bomb implanted inside of Boaz, the team kidnap Taufiq’s daughter to use as additional leverage. Ultimately Boaz and the Sheikh both get blown up, and Taufiq’s daughter gets badly injured.
Doron, still undercover, interviews for a position to be a shahid for Taufiq, a role which he ultimately gets recruited for. Taufiq reveals his plan to Walid: they received sarin nerve gas that will be detonated in the synagogue, which will cause Israel to retaliate with force, committing war crimes and forcing other Islamic states to respond. Walid eventually discovers Doron’s true identity and orders Doron to be killed, however the rest of the unit shows up just in time to kill everyone who was watching him. Walid shows the proof to Taufiq and then shoots him in the back of the head.
Outline (Season 02)
Season 2 of the successful series that was picked by the NY Times as one of the best international series for 2017. In this season, the team faces a new enemy who is willing to wreak havoc on the entire region.
- Doron Kavillio:
- Portrayed by Lior Raz. Doron is married to Gali, and has a son, Ido, and a daughter, Noga.
- Doron, after leaving the army, lives on a farm and grows grapes in order to make his own wine.
- Doron having previously been credited with killing Abu Ahmad, rejoins his old Israel Defence Force (IDF) unit, 18 months later, after intelligence discovered Abu Ahmad was still alive.
- Taufiq Hammed:
- Portrayed by Hisham Sulliman. Taufiq is commonly referred to as Abu Ahmad, and is nicknamed “The Panther”.
- He is married to Nassrin and had a son (Ahmad) and a daughter (Abir).
- Taufiq had been trained by Ali Karmi, since he was a kid, and considers him a father, however he ordered Ali to be killed, when Ali turned his back on him and gave information over to Israel in exchange for surgery for his daughter.
- Walid Al Abed:
- Portrayed by Shadi Mar’i. Walid as of season 1 he is 20 years old.
- Walid is a trusted member is Taufiq’s team, and one of the few who knows the truth about him being alive after his funeral.
- Taufiq views Walid like a son to him, and eventually Taufiq wants Walid to replace him.
- Walid however eventually winds up killing Taufiq, shooting him in the head from behind, however after shooting him, Walid cries and kisses Taufiq.
- Dr. Shirin Al Abed:
- Portrayed by Laëtitia Eïdo. Shirin is 32 years old as of season 1, and a cousin of Walid.
- Her mother is from Nablus, her father is from Paris.
- She volunteered with Doctors Without Borders in 2006.
- She studied medicine at An-Najah National University, and works in the emergency room of Rafidia Surgery Hospital.
- She is a widow, who was originally married at age 23 to a chemist, named Naji, who died four years later, from multiple sclerosis.
- She spent more of her life in Paris than in Israel, and left Paris after Naji died to be closer to her mother.
- Captain Gabi Ayub:
- Portrayed by Itzik Cohen.
- He has been divorced twice, and lives by himself.
- He has five kids, with the youngest son being named Nadav, and has another son named Yiftah.
- Gabi’s favourite time is, every year, when his family goes to the desert on vacation, and he has no mode of communication with those who are not with him.
- Mickey Moreno:
- Portrayed by Yuval Segal, commander of Doron’s former unit, who pulled him back in.
- He is romantically involved with Nurit.
- Following the issues which followed Boaz’s capture, Moreno met with Gideon Avital in order to tell him his futures plans for the unit, only to be told he was being let go, with the unit being disbanded.
- Moreno ultimately blackmails Avital into giving him his unit back, or else he will reveal to the press that the two of them had shot five prisoners in the head in Gaza years ago.
- Gali Kavillio:
- Portrayed by Netta Garti. Gali is Doron’s wife, and Boaz’s older sister.
- She is very unhappy with their life and wishes she could move outside of Israel.
- Nassrin Hamed:
- Portrayed by Hanan Hillo.
- Nassrin is the wife of Taufiq, and her mother is Hafida.
- Nassrin grew up in Germany.
- Portrayed by Tomer Kapon.
- Boaz is fluent in Arabic, and is a member of Doron’s unit.
- As a cover he states he works with Arabs in the Ministry of Defence.
- He is Gali’s younger brother.
- Portrayed by Tzachi Halevy.
- Naor is a member of Doron unit.
- He has been having an affair with Doron’s wife for over a year.
- When Gali mentions she is ready to leave Doron for him, he tells her to wait, because its complicated with Doron back in the unit.
- Following the issues which followed Boaz’s capture, Moreno intended to make Naor team leader, before Moreno was also told the unit would be disbanded.
- Portrayed by Rona-Lee Shimon, is the sole female member of Doron’s unit.
- She is romantically involved with Moreno.
- Portrayed by Boaz Konforty.
- Avihai is a member of Doron’s unit, he has a wife and one son (Guy).
- Avihai considers himself like an attack dog, where he needs to always be ready to jump right into action, without thinking about the emotion.
- Following the issues which followed Boaz’s capture, Moreno informed Avihai that he was being discharged, before Moreno was also told the unit would be disbanded.
- Steve Pinto:
- Portrayed by Doron Ben-David.
- Steve is a member of Doron’s unit.
- Although he goes by Steve, his birth name is Hertzel.
- Steve has a crush on Nurit, and attempts to kiss her while staking out Abir.
- Following the issues which followed Boaz’s capture, Moreno informed Steve that he was being discharged, before Moreno was told the unit would be disbanded.
- Steve later brings Doron to Boaz’s grave, where he cries while reciting Kaddish.
- Doron Kavillio:
- Ido Kavillio portrayed by Mel Malka, son of Doron and Gali.
- Ido, eventually finds out about the affair his mother is having with Naor, while listening in on a phone conversation, and later sees them kissing on the couch from upstairs.
- Ido eventually pulls Naor’s gun on him stating that his father is not there because of him.
- After Doron stops him, Ido states that he should have killed him.
- Jihan Hamed portrayed by Khawlah Hag-Debsy.
- Sheikh Awadalla portrayed by Salim Dau, is a spiritual leader and a close and trusted friend of Taufiq.
- When Taufiq wants to exchange Boaz for Hamas members imprisoned by Israel, Sheikh is the man he wants to run negotiations with Egypt.
- After Taufiq gives the order to detonate the bomb inside Boaz, Doron orders the bomb vest strapped to Sheikh to be detonated as well, killing him.
- Gideon Avital portrayed by Uri Gavriel, is the Minister of Defence.
- While in Gaza with Moreno, years prior to entering politics, they shot five prisoners in the head.
- Ido Kavillio portrayed by Mel Malka, son of Doron and Gali.
In the summer of 2016, the satellite network yes officially picked up season 2 of the show, stating it will focus more on real world events. During the fall of 2017 the initial trailer was released, and the official premiere date was later announced to be 31 December. A few weeks prior to the airing of season 2, Fauda was renewed for a third season, to air in 2019.
The series is distributed by the online streaming service Netflix, billed as a Netflix original programme, and premiered on 02 December 2016. Season 2 was added to Netflix in May 2018.
In 2016, the show took six awards, including Best Drama Series, at the Israeli Academy Awards. In December 2017, The New York Times voted Fauda the best international show of 2017. In 2018, the show took 11 Israeli TV Academy Awards, including best TV drama, best actor for Lior Raz and also best screenplay, casting, cinematography, recording, special effects and in other categories.
- Series 01 (2015):
- Series 02 (2017-2018):
- Series 03 (2019-2020):
Production & Filming Details
- Rotem Shamir … (23 episodes, 2017-2020).
- Assaf Bernstein … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Liat Benasuly … producer / executive producer (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Shimrit Yekutieli … line producer / executive producer (24 episodes, 2017-2020).
- Avi Issacharoff … executive producer (20 episodes, 2015-2018).
- Lior Raz … executive producer (20 episodes, 2015-2018).
- David Betzer … line producer (12 episodes, 2015).
- Maria Feldman … producer (12 episodes, 2015).
- Zohar Hanuni … line producer (12 episodes, 2017-2018).
- Michal Aviram … (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Avi Issacharoff … (creator) (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Lior Raz … (creator) (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Assaf Beiser … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Leora Kamenetzky … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Moshe Zonder … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Amir Mann … (12 episodes, 2017-2018).
- Maayan Oz … (12 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Noah Stollman … (12 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Yuval Yefet … (12 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Tyler Rhoads … (11 episodes, 2018).
- Gilad Benamram … (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Moshe Mishali … (24 episodes, 2017-2020).
- Nitai Netzer … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Omri Zalmona … (36 episodes, 2015-2020).
- Boaz Mann … (24 episodes, 2017-2020).
- Danny Rafic … (12 episodes, 2015).
- Sergio Liberman … (12 episodes, 2017-2018).
- Production: Tender Productions.
- yes Studios (2015-) (World-wide) (all media).
- Yes (2015-) (Israel) (TV) (seasons 1 and 2 on yes Oh) (season 3 on yes Action).
- Netflix (2016-) (World-wide) (video) (VOD) (excluding Israel).
- Release Date: 15 February 2015 to Present.
- Running Time: 45 minutes.
- Rating: 15.
- Country: Israel.
- Language: Hebrew and Arabic.