Objector follows Atalya through her conscientious objection, imprisonment, and beyond, as she attempts to reconcile her Jewish identity, her love for her homeland.
Like all Israeli youth, Atalya is obligated to become a soldier. Unlike most, she questions the practices of her country’s military, and becomes determined to challenge this rite of passage. Despite her family’s political disagreements and personal concerns, she refuses military duty and is imprisoned for her dissent. Her courage moves those around her to reconsider their own moral positions and personal power. Objector follows Atalya to prison and beyond, offering a unique window into the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from the perspective of a young woman who seeks truth and takes a stand for justice.
Visit the film’s website here.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Molly Stuart.
- Producer(s): Amitai Ben-Abba, Daniel L. Bernardi, and Molly Stuart.
- Writer(s): Amitai Ben-Abba.
- Music: Uri Agnon.
- Cinematography: Andres Gallegos.
- Editor(s): Daniel Chein and Molly Stuart.
- Production: Buried Seed Productions.
- Release Date: 24 October 2019 (Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival).
- Running Time: 75 and 55 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English and Spanish.