Deutschland is a German-American television series, starring Jonas Nay as Martin Rauch, an agent of East Germany.
It is a co-production of AMC Networks’ SundanceTV and RTL Television by the production company, UFA Fiction, with international distribution by RTL Group’s FremantleMedia International and North American distribution by Kino Lorber. The series premiered on 17 June 2015 on the SundanceTV channel in the United States, becoming the first German-language series to air on a US network. The broadcast was in the original German, with English subtitles. It subsequently aired in Germany beginning in November 2015, and in the UK on Channel 4 beginning in January 2016. Despite weak initial ratings in Germany, Deutschland 83 became a sleeper hit.
The series was officially renewed on 14 October 2016; the second series is named Deutschland 86. Deutschland 86 is set in 1986, three years after the original season; it premiered in Germany on 19 October 2018.
A third season, Deutschland 89, was broadcast from 25 September 2020, 1989 being the year of the fall of the Berlin Wall. In a December 2017 interview, it was confirmed that Amazon Germany has secured the rights to Deutschland 89.
Jonas Nay as a 24-year-old native of East Germany who, in 1983, is sent to West Germany as an undercover spy for the HVA, the foreign intelligence agency of the Stasi.
Outlines the various business activities undertaken by the East German state to earn hard currency.
As the Berlin Wall falls, Stasi agents attempt to protect themselves from the fallout.
- It was the first German-language series to air on a US network.
- For the first season, creator Anna Winger said that all of the episode names originated from NATO military exercises from 1983.
- For the second season, most of the episode titles refer to western policies and military operations in African countries during the Cold War, which were mostly fought as proxy wars.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 17 June 2015 to (US) and 26 November 2015 (Germany).
- Running Time: 42-45 minutes.
- Rating: 15.
- Country: US and Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).