Invasion is a 1965 low-budget British science fiction film, directed by Alan Bridges for producer Jack Greenwood of Merton Park Studios.
An alien “Lystrian” spacecraft crash-lands on Earth, near a secluded hospital not far from London. The aliens, who are humanoid and resemble East Asians, are taken to a rural hospital after a collision with a car where they cause a forcefield to be raised around the building. The doctors are confused as the blood of the alien is not human.
An issue arises as the doctors are not able to determine if the alien is a law enforcement officer, or if the two other aliens are the law enforcement and the patient is their prisoner. Only the patient can speak English, further complicating matters.
- Edward Judd as Dr. Mike Vernon.
- Yoko Tani as Leader of the Lystrians.
- Valerie Gearon as Dr. Claire Harland.
- Lyndon Brook as Brian Carter.
- Eric Young as the Lystrian.
- Tsai Chin as Nurse Lim.
- Barrie Ingham as Major Muncaster.
- Anthony Sharp as Lawrence Blackburn.
- Glyn Houston as Police Sergeant Draycott.
- Ann Castle as Sister Evans.
- John Tate as Dundy.
- Jean Lodge as Barbara Gough.
The film was written by Roger Marshall from a storyline by Robert Holmes. Holmes later re-used elements of his storyline in a 1970 Doctor Who serial entitled Spearhead from Space, which introduced Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor. Made at Merton Park Studios, one of the last movies designed to be part of a double feature.
The film was theatrically released by Anglo-Amalgamated in the UK, and by American International Pictures in the United States.
A very brief video release by Warner Home Video was available in the UK in 1992.
A DVD version was re-released in November 2014 by Networkonair.
Production & Filming Details
- Alan Bridges.
- Jack Greenwood.
- Roger Marshall … (screenplay).
- Robert Holmes … (from an original story).
- Phyllis Spreadbury … (collaborator on screenplay) (uncredited).
- Bernard Ebbinghouse.
- James Wilson.
- Derek Holding.
- Merton Park Studios (uncredited).
- Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors (1965) (UK) (theatrical) (as An Anglo Amalgamated Presentation).
- American International Pictures (AIP) (1966) (USA) (TV).
- American-International Television (AIP-TV) (1966) (USA) (TV).
- Network Distributing (2014) (UK) (DVD).
- Warner Home Video (1992) (UK) (VHS).
- Release Date: October 1965 (UK).
- Running Time: 82 minutes.
- Rating: PG.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.