We Are Who We Are is a coming-of-age drama television series co-created and directed by Luca Guadagnino for HBO and Sky Atlantic.
A coming-of-age story set on a US army base in Italy, the series follows two American 14-year-olds, Fraser Wilson and Caitlin “Harper” Poythress.
We Are Who We Are focuses on two American kids who live on a fictional US military base in Chioggia, Italy in 2016. The series explores friendship, first love, identity, and immerses the audience in all the messy exhilaration and anguish of being a teenager – a story which could happen anywhere in the world, but in this case, happens in this little slice of America in Italy.
- Chloë Sevigny as Sarah Wilson, a colonel in the United States Army and Fraser’s mother.
- Jack Dylan Grazer as Fraser Wilson, a 14-year-old who moves from New York to a military base in Veneto with his mothers.
- Alice Braga as Maggie Teixeira, a major in the US Army, Fraser’s mother and Sarah’s wife.
- Jordan Kristine Seamón as Caitlin Poythress / Harper, a seemingly bold and confident girl who is struggling with her gender identity.
- Spence Moore II as Danny Poythress, Caitlin’s older brother.
- Scott Mescudi as Richard Poythress, a lieutenant colonel in the US Army, Caitlin’s and Danny’s father
- Faith Alabi as Jenny Poythress, Caitlin’s and Danny’s mother.
- Francesca Scorsese as Britney Orton, an outspoken, witty, sexually uninhibited girl.
- Ben Taylor as Sam Pratchett, Caitlin’s possessive boyfriend, and Craig’s younger brother.
- Corey Knight as Craig Pratchett, a soldier in his twenties, cheerful and good-natured, who is also Sam’s older brother.
- Tom Mercier as Jonathan Kritchevsky, a major who works closely with Sarah.
- Blood Orange as himself (featured).
- Beatrice Barichella as Valentina, Craig’s nineteen-year-old girlfriend.
- Sebastiano Pigazzi as Enrico, a playful eighteen-year-old boy from Veneto, who has a weak spot for Britney.
- Vittoria Bottin as Sole, a friend of the group.
- Nicole Celpan as Giulia, a girl interested in Harper.
- Maria Teresa Cerantola as Teresa, a bar proprietor who secretly buys fuel from Richard.
- Hans Bush as Colonel McAunty, the exiting base commander who is replaced by Sarah.
- Jim Sweatman as Colonel Martin.
- Tomeka Campbell Turley as Mel.
- Gaia Schiralli as Monica.
- Lisa Lazzaro as Loredana.
- Brixhilda Shqalsi as Marta, Jonathan’s girlfriend.
- Giulia Manzini as Anna.
- Jacopo Brigotti as Angelo.
- Arturo Gabbriellini as Luca, Fraser’s love interest whom he meets while on their way to the Blood Orange concert in Bologna.
- Emma Segat as Futura, a bartender that Harper meets at the Blood Orange concert.
- Cameo appearances:
- Timothée Chalamet.
- Armie Hammer.
In February 2019, it was announced that Luca Guadagnino was in talks with HBO to work on a new one-hour, eight-episode show tentatively titled We Are Who We Are. Guadagnino would direct the series and write the script with Paolo Giordano and Francesca Manieri. Lorenzo Mieli and Riccardo Neri were named as prospective executive producers.
The US Department of Defence was initially supportive, and the show was to be filmed at the US army complex at Vicenza, which would also provide the extras. Guadagnino later commented that they must not have read the script; the Department of Defence later withdrew all offers of support and, according to Guadagnino, would have preferred the show not to happen. Ultimately HBO had a set built nearby to represent the base.
The first reports described the main characters, Fraser Wilson and Caitlin Harper, as “a detached teenager who hails from New York City” and “a character [that] is hard to describe—beautiful, sometimes disapproving, poetic,” respectively.
On 17 July 2019, the cast was revealed by HBO and it includes Chloë Sevigny, Scott Mescudi, Alice Braga, Jack Dylan Grazer, Spence Moore II, and newcomers Jordan Kristine Seamón, Faith Alabi, Corey Knight, Tom Mercier, Francesca Scorsese, Ben Taylor and Sebastiano Pigazzi.
Principal photography on the series was expected to begin in Italy in late May 2019, with production set to run through October, but production began in late July.
The series premiered in its entirety at the San Sebastián International Film Festival on 20 September 2020.
The series premiered on television on 14 September 2020 on HBO in the United States and on 09 October 2020, on Sky Atlantic in Italy. The finale aired in Italy on 30 October 2020, ahead of its broadcast on HBO. In the United Kingdom, the limited series was released in its entirety on 22 November 2020, by BBC Three via iPlayer.
We Are Who We Are Series
- Series 01 (2020):
Production & Filming Details
- Luca Guadagnino … (8 episodes, 2020).
- Ron Bozman … producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Sean Conway … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Claudio Corbucci … co-executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Lorenzo Gangarossa … co-executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Mario Gianani … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Luca Guadagnino … executive producer / executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Nick Hall … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Sarah Khan … coordinating producer: BTS and Interviews / coordinating producer: BTS and Interviews (6 episodes, 2020).
- Francesco Melzi d’Eril … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Lorenzo Mieli … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Mauro Monachini … co-executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Marco Morabito … post producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Riccardo Neri … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Paolo Maria Pedullà … associate producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Elena Recchia … executive producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Francesco Tatò … line producer (8 episodes, 2020).
- Sean Conway … (created by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Paolo Giordano … (based on an original idea by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Paolo Giordano … (created by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Paolo Giordano … (written by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Luca Guadagnino … (created by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Luca Guadagnino … (written by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Francesca Manieri … (created by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Francesca Manieri … (written by) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Flavio Nuccitelli … (story editor) (8 episodes, 2020).
- Devonté Hynes … (8 episodes, 2020).
- Fredrik Wenzel … (4 episodes, 2020).
- Yorick Le Saux … (3 episodes, 2020).
- Massimiliano Kuveiller … (2 episodes, 2020).
- Marco Costa … (8 episodes, 2020).
- Home Box Office (HBO) (presents).
- Sky Italia (presents) (as Sky).
- The Apartment.
- Small Forward (with).
- Fremantle (2020) (World-wide) (all media).
- BBC Three (2020) (UK) (TV).
- HBO Latin America (2020) (Argentina) (TV).
- HBO Max (2020) (USA) (video) (VOD).
- Home Box Office (HBO) (2020) (USA) (TV).
- Starz Play (Austria) (video) (VOD).
- Starz Play (Belgium) (video) (VOD).
- Starz Play (France) (video) (VOD).
- Starz Play (Luxembourg) (video) (VOD).
- Starz Play (Netherlands) (video) (VOD).
- Starz Play (Switzerland) (video) (VOD).
- StarzPlay (Germany) (video) (VOD).
- Vodafone TV (2020) (Greece) (TV).
- Release Date: 14 September 2020 to 02 November 2020.
- Running Time: 49-75 minutes.
- Rating: 15.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.