Sea Without Exit (Japanese: Deguchi No Nai Umi, also known as Kaiten – Human Torpedo War) is a 2006 war film by director Kiyoshi Sasabe.
During World War II, crew members aboard a Japanese submarine reflect on the past.
Koji Namiki, a talented young pitcher, who had won the National High School Baseball Championships enters university, but soon afterwards injures his elbow. He and his teammates work hard to get back on the field placing all his hopes on a new slow-ball, “the magic pitch.” However, the outbreak of WWII wipes out the baseball ambitions from everyone. They join the military and in the navy undergo the severe training that prepares them for death. Death awaits them in a “kaiten” (special attack submarine or “human torpedo”) within the gloomy ocean depths, but Koji never gives up his dream of the “magic pitch.”
- Ebizô Ichikawa … Koji Namiki.
- Yûsuke Iseya … Katsuya Kita.
- Juri Ueno … Minako Narumi.
- Shun Shioya … Nobuo Ito.
- Teruyuki Kagawa … Kashima.
- Yûko Kotegawa … Mitsue Namiki.
- Tomokazu Miura … Toshiaki Namiki.
Production & Filming Details
- Kiyoshi Sasabe.
- Takeo Hisamatsu … supervising producer.
- Chiaki Noji … producer.
- Jun’ichi Sakomoto … executive producer.
- Tetsuo Sasho … producer.
- Hideo Yokoyama … (novel).
- Yôji Yamada … (screenplay).
- Motofumi Tomikawa … (screenplay).
- Mino Kabasawa.
- Katsumi Yanagijima.
- Isao Kawase.
- Pony Canyon.
- Sumitomo Corporation.
- TV Asahi.
- Eisei Gekijo.
- Sky Perfect Well Think.
- Memory Tech.
- Yahoo Japan.
- Asahi Shimbun.
- Tokyo ASA Association.
- Ad Gear K.K.
- Nagoya Broadcasting Network (Nagoya TV).
- TV Yamaguchi Broadcasting Systems Co.
- Musketier Media (2012) (Germany) (DVD).
- Soulfood Music Distribution (2016) (Germany) (DVD).
- Release Date: 25 August 2006 (Montreal World Film Festival).
- Running Time: 121 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Japan.
- Language: Japanese.