Omega Syndrome is a 1986 action film by director Joseph Manduke.
An ex-GI’s daughter is abducted by a gang of white supremacists. He calls on one of his former Army buddies, and together they set out to track down the gang and rescue his daughter.
- Ken Wahl … Jack Corbett.
- George DiCenzo … Philadelphia ‘Phil’ Horton.
- Xander Berkeley … Yo-Yo.
- Nicole Eggert … Jessie Corbett.
- Ron Kuhlman … Karl.
- Bill Morey … Dr. Lloyd Pearson.
- Robert Gray … Saxon.
- Colm Meaney … Sean.
- Bob Tzudiker … Harry.
- Al White … Sergeant Carlyle.
- Doug McClure … Detective Milnor.
- Omega watches, worried about an association with a far right terrorist organisation took the film studio to court in a last ditch attempt to block the films release.
- Italian sports brand Kappa even stepped in with the offer of sponsorship to take the naming rights, contracts had been signed and ‘Kappa Syndrome’ wrap party t-shirts had even been ordered when Omega watches dropped their case.
- Omega watches (then) CEO, Tim E. Phlies, in an interview with Empire magazine would later laugh off the lawsuit when it was put to him that the total box office sales for the film came to less than the cost of one of his watches.
- The blimp chase scene was the most difficult to film as the stunt crew had no prior experience driving stunt blimps.
- Their solution was to employ a trio of local drunks to fly around the city whilst they filmed.
- The resulting chase scene turned out rather well and incredibly there were no fatalities.
- The original premise of the movie had Omega developing a viral weapon to wage in their terrorist activities, with Jessie to be used as a test subject, hence the title Omega ‘Syndrome’.
- Colm Meaney’s character was originally intended to be a biological warfare specialist. However when the original science advisor to the writing team, Dr Billy D. Phlash, died during a tragic roller coaster accident the director decided to take the plot in another direction.
- The title ‘Omega Syndrome’ remained as a touching tribute to Billy.
Production & Filming Details
- Joseph Manduke.
- Luigi Cingolani … producer.
- Paul DiSalvo … associate producer.
- Djordje Zecevic … executive producer (as George Zecevic).
- John Sharkey.
- Nicholas Carras.
- Jack Cookerly.
- Harvey Genkins.
- Stephen A. Isaacs.
- New World Pictures.
- Smart Egg Pictures.
- Prey Presentations.
- New World Pictures (1987) (USA) (theatrical).
- Aquarius TV (1995) (Greece) (TV).
- Highlight Video (all media).
- R&G Video (1990) (USA) (VHS).
- Scorpion Releasing (2020) (USA) (Blu-ray).
- Starmaker Entertainment (1990) (USA) (VHS).
- Release Date: 26 October 1986 (Limited, US).
- Rating: 18.
- Running Time: 90 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.