Passport to Freedom (Portuguese: Passaporte para Liberdade) is a Brazilian television miniseries produced by Estúdios Globo, Sony Pictures Television, and Floresta.
The miniseries is written by Mário Teixeira, with the collaboration of Rachel Anthony. It aired on TV Globo from 20 December 2021 to 30 December 2021, and stars Sophie Charlotte, Rodrigo Lombardi, and Peter Ketnath.
The miniseries tells the story of Aracy de Carvalho, an employee of the Brazilian consulate in Hamburg, Germany. Initially titled O Anjo de Hamburgo (The Angel of Hamburg).
In 1935, Aracy de Carvalho (Sophie Charlotte) goes to Germany and lands a position in the passport department of the Brazilian consulate in Hamburg. It was there that she managed to save many Jews from prison and the Holocaust by facilitating the issuing of visas to Brazil. João Guimarães Rosa (Rodrigo Lombardi) is asked to be Brazil’s deputy consul and meets Aracy on his first day of work and immediately falls in love with her. João realises that Aracy is hiding something and questions her. Aracy explains her whole scheme to João. He hesitates, but soon becomes convinced that it was the right thing to do. Aracy also attracts the attention of Nazi Thomas Zumkle (Peter Ketnath), an important captain of the SS. Zumkle becomes obsessed with discovering Aracy’s secret, and his frequent insinuations, in addition to annoying Aracy, jeopardise all the help she offers to the Jews.
- Sophie Charlotte as Aracy de Carvalho.
- Rodrigo Lombardi as João Guimarães Rosa.
- Peter Ketnath as Thomas Zumkle.
- Stefan Weinert as Milton Hardner.
- Tomas Sinclair Spencer as Karl Schaffer.
- Gabriela Petry as Taibele Bashevis / Vivi Krüger.
- Izabela Gwizdak as Margarethe Levy.
- Sivan Mast as Helena Krik.
- Tarcísio Filho as Joaquim Antônio de Souza Ribeiro.
- Theo Medon as Eduardo “Edu” de Carvalho Tess.
- Jacopo Garfagnolli as Rudi Katz.
- Aryè Campos as Tina Fallada.
- Phil Miler as Samuel Bashevis.
- Bruce Gomlevsky as Hugo Levy.
- Helena Varvaki.
- Jimmy London as Mendel Krik.
- Fabiana Gugli as Mina Schwartz.
- João Côrtes as Wilfried Shwartz.
- Camilla Lecciolli as Sonja Katz.
- Brian Townes as Commander Heinz.
- David Wendefilm as Bohm.
- Ivo Müller as Agent Krause.
- J.G. Franklin as Agent Karlson.
- Olé Erdmann as Aribert Brunner / Alois Brunner.
- Bruno Sigrist as Helmut.
- Clarice Alves as Consuela Anita.
The miniseries was announced in May 2019, initially titled O Anjo de Hamburgo (The Angel of Hamburg). The miniseries is the first TV Globo production to be entirely spoken in English. Filming began in February 2020. In March 2020, production was shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Filming resumed on 13 February 2021, and concluded in May 2021.
- The miniseries is Globo’s first English-language production.
- The production was shot in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro.
- Globo’s first production in partnership with Sony Pictures Television (SPT).
- In addition to Brazilian actors, the miniseries features German, British, Israeli, Italian, American, and Polish actors in the cast.
- Actors Rodrigo Lombardi and Tarcísio Filho dub themselves in the Brazilian Portuguese version of the series.
- Sophie Charlotte was invited to do the same but was unable to due to other commitments.
Passport to Freedom Series
Production & Filming Details
- Jayme Monjardim … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Seani Soares … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Ricardo Waddington … executive producer (2019) (unknown episodes).
- Elisabetta Zenatti … executive producer (2019) (unknown episodes).
- Rachel Anthony … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Mário Teixeira … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Pablo Baião … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Francisco Antunes … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Gustavo Giani … (8 episodes, 2021).
- Grupo Globo.
- Sony Pictures Television.
- Globoplay (2021) (Brazil) (video).
- Grupo Globo (2021) (Brazil) (TV).
- Release Date: 20 December 2021 to 30 December 2021 (Brazil).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Country: Brazil.
- Language: English and Portuguese (dubbed).