Paying the Price: Killing the Children of Iraq is a 2000 Carlton Television documentary written and presented by John Pilger which was directed by Alan Lowery.
In this documentary Pilger argues that United Nations (UN) sanctions had a devastating effect on the children of Iraq during the 1990s.
John Pilger and Alan Lowery travelled to Iraq with Denis Halliday, a former assistant secretary-general of the United Nations who resigned over what he called the “immoral policy” of economic sanctions. There they expected to find a suffering nation held hostage to the compliance of a dictator, Saddam Hussein. What they found was a country being slowly strangled by a draconian US/UK blockade.
- Dennis Halliday … Former Asst. Secretary General, United Nations.
- Robert Gates … CIA Director 1991-1993.
- Hans von Sponeck … Chief UN co-ordinator, Iraq.
- Ambassador Peter van Walsum … Chairman, UN Sanctions Committee.
- Professor Karol Sikora … Former Chief of Cancer Programme, World Health Organisation.
- James Rubin … US State Department spokesman.
- Scott Ritter … UN Weapons Inspector 1991-1998.
- Said Aburish … Author, Saddam Hussein: The Politics of Revenge.
- Mohammed Amin Ezzet … Conductor, Iraqi National Orchestra.
- Anupama Rao Singh … UNICEF Representative, Iraq.
- Professor Doug Rokke … Former US Army health physicist.
- Dr. Jinan Ghalib Hassen … Paediatrician.
- Dr. Jawad Al-Ali … Cancer specialist.
- Laith Kubba … Iraqi opposition exile.
- Felicity Arbuthnot … Journalist.
- Hussain Jarsis … Shepherd.
Awards and Festival Screenings
- Chris Award, Columbus International Film & Video Festival.
- Vancouver International Film Festival.
Production & Filming Details
- Alana Lowery.
- John Pilger.
- Alan Lowerty … producer.
- John Pilger … producer.
- John Pilger.
- Nick Russell-Pavier.
- Preston Clothier.
- Joe Frost.
- Carlton Television.
- Release Date: 2000.
- Rating: E.
- Running Time: 75 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.