Undeclared War is a 1990 Hong Kong action film directed by Ringo Lam and starring Danny Lee, Olivia Hussey, Peter Liapis, Rosamund Kwan and Vernon G. Wells.
A Hong Kong Special Branch cop and a CIA agent reluctantly team up to bring down a major international terrorist.
Also known as Shen zhan feng yun (original title), Sing chin fung wan (Cantonese title, Hong Kong), and Hong Kong War.
Warsaw’s liberation army is actually a terrorist organisation under the banner of a revolution and in order to show their strength, they prepare to create a bombing incident when the US business delegates visit Hong Kong to achieve their political objectives.
The CIA finds clues and sends Agent Gary Redner (Peter Liapis) to Hong Kong to prevent this conspiracy. Due to the matter of politics, Hong Kong Police also sends Inspector Lee Ting-bong (Danny Lee) to assist Redner in the operation. The two cops from different environment were incompatible working together at first, but they gradually produced a profound friendship and they work together to shatter the terrorists’ attempt to sabotage a media organisation’s party killing all the Warsaw’s liberation Army members.
However, thing are not over yet, as Hannibal breaks into the television news department and takes all the staff hostage including Lee’s girlfriend Ann (Rosamund Kwan) and prepares to create a bloodshed to be broadcast throughout the world. At this time, Lee and Redner arrives, only to find that Lee’s assistant Tang (Tommy Wong) has been bribed by the terrorists and holds them at gunpoint. It ends when Tang sacrifices himself to allow the Police to capture Hannibal and detonate the grenade killing him and bringing Warsaw’s liberation army to a fateful end.
- Danny Lee as Inspector Lee Ting-bong.
- Olivia Hussey as Rebecca Ecke.
- Peter Liapis as Gary Redner (credited as Peter Lapis).
- Rosamund Kwan as Ann Cheung.
- Vernon G. Wells as Hannibal.
- Tommy Wong as Lieutenant Tang.
- Victor Hon as Diem.
- David Hedison as US Ambassador.
- Louis Roth as Alex Vladovich.
- Mars as Tiger.
- Mark King as Simon.
- Jonathan Isgar as Iam.
- Dean Harrington as Callahan.
- Wong Kwong-fai.
- Jameson Lam as Special Branch officer.
- Ng Kwok-kin as Policeman.
- Suen Kwok-ming as Guard.
- Chan Tat-kwong.
- Ernest Mauser.
- James M. Crockett.
- Stuart Smith as Colin.
The film grossed HK$5,523,958 at the Hong Kong box office.
- Olivia Hussey’s first and only Hong Kong movie.
Production & Filming Details
- Ringo Lam.
- Kuen Cheung … executive producer (as Richard Cheung).
- Wellington Fung … associate producer (as Wellington W. Fung).
- Ringo Lam … producer.
- Karl Maka … producer.
- Andrew Yau … executive producer.
- Yin Nam … (screenplay) (as Nam Yin).
- Timothy R. Long … (screenplay) (as Timothy Long).
- Louis Roth … (screenplay).
- Deborah Grant … (screenplay).
- Noel Quinlan.
- Hung-Chuen Lau.
- Kuo-Chung Chou (as Tony Chow).
- Cinema City Enterprises.
- Undeclared War Project.
- Cinema Capital Entertainment Ltd. (1990) (Hong Kong) (theatrical) (as Cinema Capital Entertainments Ltd.).
- Ascot Elite Home Entertainment (2007) (Germany) (DVD).
- Concorde Filmverleih (video).
- Concorde Pictures (all media).
- Delta Vidéo Diffusion (1993) (France) (video).
- Imperial Entertainment (all media).
- Mei Ah Films Production Co. Ltd. (Hong Kong) (all media).
- Pathé (2005) (France) (DVD).
- Vértice 360 (Spain) (all media).
- Release Date: 01 September 1990 (Hong Kong).
- Rating: R.
- Running Time: 103 minutes.
- Country: Hong Kong.
- Language: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Polish.