Unbroken: Path to Redemption is a 2018 American Christian drama film directed by Harold Cronk, and acts as a sequel to the 2014 film Unbroken, although Legendary Pictures was not involved and none of the original cast or crew returns except the producer Matthew Baer, and actors Vincenzo Amato and Maddalena Ischiale.
The film chronicles Louis Zamperini following his return from World War II, his personal struggles to adjust back to civilian life and his eventual conversion to evangelical Christianity after attending one of Billy Graham’s church revivals. The film stars Samuel Hunt as Zamperini, Merritt Patterson, Vincenzo Amato, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Bobby Campo, Bob Gunton, Maddalena Ischiale, David Sakurai and Gary Cole, as well as evangelist Will Graham portraying his grandfather.
Refer to Captured by Grace, a 2015 documentary about Louis Zamperini.
Based on Laura Hillenbrand’s bestselling book, the film begins where the movie Unbroken concludes, sharing the next chapter of the true story of Olympian and World War II veteran Louis Zamperini.
Haunted by nightmares of his torment, Louie sees himself as anything but a hero. Then, he meets Cynthia, a young woman who captures his eye – and his heart.
Louie’s quest for revenge drives him deeper into despair, putting the couple on the brink of divorce until Cynthia experiences Billy Graham’s 1949 Los Angeles Crusade, where both find faith in Jesus Christ, a renewed commitment to their marriage, and Louie finds forgiveness for his wartime captors.
- Samuel Hunt as Louis Zamperini, a former Olympian, World War 2 Bombardier, and later former POW who has recently been rescued and sent back home, and currently haunted by his past.
- He decides to seek God’s grace and forgiveness in Jesus Christ.
- He was previously portrayed by Jack O’Connell in the original film.
- Merritt Patterson as Cynthia Applewhite-Zamperini, Louis’ wife.
- Vincenzo Amato as Anthony Zamperini, Louis’ father.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway as Lila Burkholder.
- Bobby Campo as Pete Zamperini, Louis’ brother.
- Bob Gunton as Major Zeigler.
- Maddalena Ischiale as Louise Zamperini.
- David Sakurai as Mutsuhiro “The Bird” Watanabe, a sadistic Japanese warden and Louis’ torturer who appears in flashbacks.
- He was previously portrayed by Japanese musician Miyavi in the original film.
- Gary Cole as George Bailey.
- Will Graham as Billy Graham, an American pastor who changes Zamperini’s life by having him hear the gospel.
- Actor Will Graham is the real-life grandson of Billy Graham.
- David DeLuise as Howard Lambert.
- Gianna Simone as Sylvia Zamperini, Louis’ sister. She was previously portrayed by Savannah Lamble in the original film.
- April Bowlby as Cecy Phillips.
The film was originally going to be released on 05 October 2018, but was moved up from its original release to 14 September 2018.
In the United States and Canada, Unbroken: Path to Redemption was released alongside White Boy Rick, A Simple Favour and The Predator, and was projected to gross $2–6 million from 1,620 theatres in its opening weekend. It ended up debuting to just $2.2 million, finishing tenth at the box office. It dropped 40% in its second weekend to $1.3 million, finishing 12th.
- Evangelist Billy Graham was portrayed by his grandson Will Graham.
- The sequel did not include cast members Alex Russell or Jack O’Connell as Louis “Louie” Zamperini, nor his brother Pete, either due to scheduling conflicts or they were not available at the time of filming.
- The replacements are Bobby Campo as Pete and Samuel Hunt as Louie. It also had no involvement of Angelina Jolie as director or Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures as its distributors.
- Pure Flix Entertaiment and director Harold Cronk replaced them.
Production & Filming Details
- Harold Cronk.
- Matthew Baer … producer.
- Mike Elliott … producer.
- Cynthia Garris … executive producer.
- Bruce Wayne Gillies … line producer.
- Lisa Gooding … studio executive.
- Greg Holstein … co-producer.
- Colleen Marshall … associate producer.
- Dave Mechem … executive producer.
- Bill Reeves … executive producer.
- Michael Scott … executive producer.
- Erik Weir … executive producer.
- Luke Zamperini … executive producer.
- Richard Friedenberg … (screenplay by).
- Ken Hixon … (screenplay by).
- Laura Hillenbrand … (based on the book “Unbroken” by).
- Brandon Roberts … composer.
- Zoran Popovic.
- Amy McGrath.
- Universal 1440 Entertainment.
- Capital Arts Entertainment.
- Hollywood Caterers (Catering).
- Matt Baer Films.
- Pure Flix Entertainment (2018) (USA) (theatrical).
- Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) (2018) (World-wide) (all media).
- Universal Pictures (2019) (Germany) (DVD).
- Release Date: 14 September 2018 (US).
- Rating: 12.
- Running Time: 98 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.