Men Without Women is an American 1930 pre-Code drama film directed and written by John Ford, from the script by James Kevin McGuinness.
The film also starred Kenneth MacKenna, Frank Albertson, and J. Farrell MacDonald. The sound version is now lost. Only a print of the “International Sound Version”, held by the Museum of Modern Art, survives.
US Navy divers clear the torpedo tube of a sunken submarine.
- Kenneth MacKenna as Chief Torpedoman Burke.
- Frank Albertson as Ensign Albert Edward Price.
- J. Farrell MacDonald as Costello.
- Warren Hymer as Kaufman.
- Paul Page as Handsome.
- Walter McGrail as Joe Cobb.
- Stuart Erwin as Radioman Jenkins.
- George Le Guere as Curly Pollock.
- Charles K. Gerrard as Commander Weymouth.
- Harry Tenbrook as Dutch Winkler.
- Warner Richmond as Lieutenant Commander Briddwell.
- John Wayne as Radioman on surface (uncredited).
The film premiered on 31 January 1930, in New York City. The production was filmed on Santa Catalina Island, California, and was released by the Fox Film Corporation.
- Frank Albertson’s character is the same one as he plays in John Ford’s Salute (1929), although he is now an Ensign.
Production & Filming Details
- John Ford.
- John Ford … producer (uncredited).
- James Kevin McGuinness … associate producer (uncredited).
- John Ford … (story).
- James Kevin McGuinness … (story).
- Dudley Nichols … (screen play and scenario).
- Otis C. Freeman … (titles).
- Carli Elinor … (musical score).
- Peter Brunelli … (uncredited).
- Glen Knight … (uncredited).
- Joseph H. August … (as Joseph August) (photography).
- Walter Thompson … film editor.
- Paul Weatherwax … (uncredited).
- Fox Film Corporation (John Ford Production).
- Fox Film Corporation (1930) (USA) (theatrical).
- Fox Film Company (1930) (UK) (theatrical).
- Fox Film Corporation (1930) (Australia) (theatrical).
- Fox Film (1930) (Norway) (theatrical).
- Fox Film (1930) (Sweden) (theatrical).
- Submarine Memorabilia (2010) (USA) (DVD) (dvdr).
- 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment (2015) (USA) (DVD) (dvdr).
- Release Date: 31 January 1930 (New York City, US) (Premiere).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: 77 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.