Heroes and Villains is a 2007–2008 BBC Television drama series looking at key moments in the lives and reputations of some of the greatest warriors of history.
Each hour-long episode features a different historical figure, including Napoleon I of France, Attila the Hun, Spartacus, Hernán Cortés, Richard I of England, and Tokugawa Ieyasu.
The statements at the beginning of each episode read: “This film depicts real events and real characters. It is based on the accounts of writers of the time. It has been written with the advice of modern historians.”
In the United States the show was aired on The Military Channel and was called “Warriors”.
Outline of Series 01, Episode 01
Filmed on location in Malta, this story covers the siege of Toulon. Beginning in Marseilles on 24 August 1793 and ending on 18 December 1793, it covers his rivalry with Fréron as well as his sister Paoletta’s affair with Fréron and his rise through the ranks as they fight the English at “Little Gibraltar.”
Heroes and Villains Series
- Episode 01: Napoleon.
- Episode 02: Attila the Hun.
- Episode 03: Spartacus.
- Episode 04: Cortes.
- Episode 05: Richard the Lionheart.
- Episode 06: Shogun.
Production & Filming Details
- Directors: Nick Murphy, Tim Dunn, Nick Green, Andrew Grieve, Gareth Edwards, and Arif Nurmohamed.
- Writers: Clare Saxby, Tony Etchells, Nick Murphy, James Wood, Andrew Grieve, Lyall B. Watson, and Colin Heber-Percy.
- Historical Consultant: Professor Alan Forrest (University of York).
- Production: BBC.
- Distributor: BBC (UK) and Military Channel (US).
- Release Date: 11 November 2007.
- Running time: 60 minutes.
- Country: UK and US.
- Language: English.