Hell Below was a TV series on The Smithsonian Channel produced by Parallax Film Productions Inc.
Outline of Series 01, Episode 01
The wolfpack tactic was made famous by Admiral Karl Dönitz, Hitler’s mastermind of submariners. His strategy: to send teams of U-boats to bear against the convoys of ships heading from Canada to Britain, cut maritime lifelines, and starve the enemy into defeat. Take a deep dive into the North Atlantic as we go above and below sea level to relive one of the first attacks of Dönitz’s lethal subs in 1940, headed by leader of the pack Commander Otto Kretschmer. Then follow Britain’s war strategists as they race to combat this new deadly attack.
Hell Below Series
You can find the full index of Hell Below episodes here.
Trivia & Goofs
- As it has many fully restored and working parts, the World War II museum ship Gato-class submarine USS Cod moored in Cleveland, Ohio was used for interior and exterior scenes to depict the USS Tang, U-99 and U-100.
- The film crew travelled to Laboe, Germany to film in U-995, a Type VII-C U-boat which is now used as a museum.
- The HMCS Sackville, a small, surface vessel used as a museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was also used.
- Much of the footage inside the submarines was filmed using hand-held cameras, this was because space was so tight there was often no room for the director.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Ian Herring.
- Producers: Ian Herring, Maija Leivo, and Carolyn Schmidt.
- Production: Smithsonian Channel.
- Release Date: 17 July 2016 (US).
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.