Hell Below was a TV series on The Smithsonian Channel produced by Parallax Film Productions Inc.
Outline of Series 01, Episode 02
December 1941-following the Japanese assault on Pearl Harbour, five Nazi U-boats set out on a secret mission to attack ships off the shores of the United States to thwart the American war effort.
Hell Below Series
You can find the full index of Hell Below episodes here.
Trivia & Goofs
- As it has many fully restored and working parts, the World War II museum ship Gato-class submarine USS Cod moored in Cleveland, Ohio was used for interior and exterior scenes to depict the USS Tang, U-99 and U-100.
- The film crew travelled to Laboe, Germany to film in U-995, a Type VII-C U-boat which is now used as a museum.
- The HMCS Sackville, a small, surface vessel used as a museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was also used.
- Much of the footage inside the submarines was filmed using hand-held cameras, this was because space was so tight there was often no room for the director.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Ian Herring.
- Producers: Ian Herring, Maija Leivo, and Carolyn Schmidt.
- Production: Smithsonian Channel.
- Release Date: 24 July 2016 (US).
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.