Hell Below was a TV series on The Smithsonian Channel produced by Parallax Film Productions Inc.
Outline of Series 01, Episode 03
January 1943. America’s submarine force struggles to gain an edge in the South Pacific. Dudley “Mush” Morton, Commander of USS Wahoo, sets out to turn the tide. The new skipper decides to take on an entire convoy. If he succeeds, he will be the first American submarine commander to claim such a prize.
Hell Below Series
You can find the full index of Hell Below episodes here.
Trivia & Goofs
- As it has many fully restored and working parts, the World War II museum ship Gato-class submarine USS Cod moored in Cleveland, Ohio was used for interior and exterior scenes to depict the USS Tang, U-99 and U-100.
- The film crew travelled to Laboe, Germany to film in U-995, a Type VII-C U-boat which is now used as a museum.
- The HMCS Sackville, a small, surface vessel used as a museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was also used.
- Much of the footage inside the submarines was filmed using hand-held cameras, this was because space was so tight there was often no room for the director.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Ian Herring.
- Producers: Ian Herring, Maija Leivo, and Carolyn Schmidt.
- Production: Smithsonian Channel.
- Release Date: 31 July 2016 (US).
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.