Hell Below was a TV series on The Smithsonian Channel produced by Parallax Film Productions Inc.
Outline of Series 02, Episode 05
Two submerged subs battle blind in a rare World War II attack that changed subsea warfare forever.
Hell Below Series
You can find the full index of Hell Below episodes here.
Trivia & Goofs
- As it has many fully restored and working parts, the World War II museum ship Gato-class submarine USS Cod moored in Cleveland, Ohio was used for interior and exterior scenes to depict the USS Tang, U-99 and U-100.
- The film crew travelled to Laboe, Germany to film in U-995, a Type VII-C U-boat which is now used as a museum.
- The HMCS Sackville, a small, surface vessel used as a museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was also used.
- Much of the footage inside the submarines was filmed using hand-held cameras, this was because space was so tight there was often no room for the director.
Production & Filming Details
- Director: Ian Herring.
- Producers: Ian Herring, Maija Leivo, and Carolyn Schmidt.
- Production: Smithsonian Channel.
- Release Date: 29 July 2018 (US).
- Running Time: 45 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.