Stargate (Stylised as STARGᐰTE) is a science fiction media franchise based on the film written by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich.
The franchise is based on the idea of an alien Einstein–Rosen bridge device (the Stargate) that enables nearly instantaneous travel across the cosmos.
The franchise began with the film Stargate, released on 28 October 1994, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Carolco, which grossed US$197 million worldwide.
In 1997, Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner created a television series titled Stargate SG-1 as a sequel to the film. This show was joined by Stargate Atlantis in 2004, Stargate Universe in 2009, and a prequel web series, Stargate Origins, in 2018.
Also consistent with the same story are a variety of books, video games and comic books, as well as the direct-to-DVD movies Stargate: Children of the Gods, Stargate: The Ark of Truth, and Stargate: Continuum, which concluded the first television show after 10 seasons.
In 2011, Stargate Universe, the last Stargate programme on television, ended its run. Brad Wright announced that there were no more plans to continue the same story in further productions.
In 2016, comic publisher American Mythology acquired the rights to publish new Stargate Atlantis stories set within the established franchise canon. This was expanded in 2017 to include new Stargate Universe comics as well, resolving the cliffhanger that ended the show.
The predominant story arc thus ran for more than 15 years, including 18 seasons (364 episodes) of programming, and 22 comic book issues as of January 2020. However, a variety of other media either ignore this main continuity or resets it, while maintaining essential elements that define the franchise (mainly, the inclusion of a Stargate device). These include the 2002 animated series Stargate Infinity.
In 2017, the franchise was revived with the announcement of a new prequel web series, Stargate Origins. Episodes premiered on a central “fan hub” for the franchise called Stargate Command, with a first season of ten 10-minute episodes.
- Stargate: The Lowdown (2003).
- Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks host this mockumentary on the Stargate to get viewers up-to-speed prior to the beginning of season seven of the series Stargate: SG-1.
- From Stargate to Atlantis: A Sci-Fi Lowdown (2004).
- This is a special that aired on Syfy before the premiere of Stargate: Atlantis, which gave an overview of the show.
- Sci-Fi Lowdown: Behind the Stargate – Secrets Revealed (2005).
- This previewed before the second half of Stargate SG-1 Season Eight and Stargate: Atlantis Season One.
- It is presented by British-born Canadian actor, David Hewlett who also plays Dr. Meredith Rodney McKay on “Stargate: Atlantis”.
- Sci-Fi Inside: Stargate SG-1 200th Episode (2006).
- This is a special that aired on Syfy before the premiere of the Stargate SG-1 episode “200”.
- Stargate SG-1: True Science (2006).
- This was a television special which aired on Syfy before the second half of the ninth season of Stargate SG-1 aired.
- The special focused around the scientific aspects of the show and was hosted by Amanda Tapping.
- Behind the Mythology of Stargate SG-1 (2007).
- With interviews from cast, producers, and experts in the field of mythology and television, Behind the Mythology of Stargate SG-1 reveals how ten years of fantastic adventures have served to created Stargate’s very own mythological superstructure.
- Stargate: The Definitive History (2019).
- The History of the Franchise starting with the various Stargate books in the 1960’s to Stargate the Movie in 1994, the TV series Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe, the Stargate Infinity Animated Show, and now the latest Prequel from StargateCommand.com titled Stargate Origins.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich.
- Original Work: Stargate (1994).
- Owner: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM).
- Release Date: 28 October 1994 (original film).
- Country: US.
- Language: English.