The fifth and final season of the action-adventure television series The A-Team premiered in the United States on NBC on 26 September 1986, and concluded on 08 March 1987, consisting of 13 episodes.
Robert Vaughn and Eddie Velez joined the cast in this season.
At the beginning of this season, a remixed version of The A-Team theme song was used.
The opening credits were changed in this season, which consisted of scenes taken from “Dishpan Man”, “Trial by Fire”, “Firing Line”, Season 3’s “Timber”, Season 4’s feature length two part episode “Judgment Day”, “The Sound of Thunder”, and Season 5’s “Quarterback Sneak”.
- George Peppard as Lieutenant Colonel/Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith.
- Dirk Benedict as First Lieutenant Templeton “Faceman” Peck.
- Dwight Schultz as Captain H. M. Murdock.
- Eddie Velez as Frankie “Dishpan Man” Santana.
- Mr. T as Sergeant First Class Bosco Albert “B. A.” (Bad Attitude) Baracus.
- Robert Vaughn as (former United States Army General) Hunt Stockwell.
Premise for Format Change
After the last four seasons, ratings had started going down for the show since it had been “wash and repeat” for several years, with repeating problems that clients presented them with.
A change was made in an effort to bring ratings back up by completely changing the A-Team’s reason for being on missions, as well as introducing a new member (Frankie Santana) to the team.
The running gag of Face constantly springing Murdock from the mental hospital was also dropped, with Murdock declared sane and usually out looking for a job; Murdock has never held the same job for two episodes, suggesting his lunacy or being dragged on missions caused his bosses to fire him.
The A-Team now resided in a safe house in Virginia, although Murdock continued to live separately in an apartment.
Now under the command of the mysterious General Stockwell, the team was now working for the government on top secret missions that the US could not send their own agents in on; after a set amount, Stockwell would get them presidential pardons.
New running gags involved Frankie and Face questioning Stockwell’s methods, Frankie arguing with B.A. over transportation between countries (as Frankie gets seasick, while B.A. is just scared of flying), and Hannibal going against Stockwell’s orders.
The A-Team Series 05
- Episode 01: Dishpan Man: The Court Martial, Part 01.
- Episode 02: Trial by Fire: The Court Martial, Part 02.
- Episode 03: Firing Line: The Court Martial, Part 03.
- Episode 04: Quarterback Sneak.
- Episode 05: The Theory of Revolution.
- Episode 06: The Say UNCLE Affair.
- Episode 07: Alive at Five.
- Episode 08: Family Reunion.
- Episode 09: Point of No Return.
- Episode 10: The Crystal Skull.
- Episode 11: The Spy Who Mugged Me.
- Episode 12: The Grey Team.
- Episode 13: Without Reservations (last aired episode).
You can find a full index and overview of the The A-Team here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 26 September 1986 to 08 March 1987.
- Running Time: 48 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.