At the outbreak of war, two teenage boys – one German and one British – defy their parents to sign up, but their enthusiasm is tested when they get their first taste of battle.
Joanna and her baby are living with Tommy’s parents who read news of a likely armistice to her whilst in privation-hit Germany William and Susan also hear that peace is imminent. On the Western Front news of the Kaiser’s abdication and flight fuels optimism and the Treaty of Versailles is drawn up. Unaware that the fighting is shortly to end Tommy takes Kevin’s place mending broken barbed wire. He encounters Michael and they fight . Peace is indeed declared but for the two lads the war is over for good.
The Passing Bells Series
You can find a full index of The Passing Bells here.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Brendan Maher.
- Producer(s): Zbigniew Adamkiewicz, Andrew Boswell, Belinda Campbell, Andrew Chapman, Den Donald, Peter Hampden, Dariusz Jablonski, Betham Jones, Tony Jordan, Violetta Kaminska, Norman Merry, Nick Pitt, and Izabela Wojcik.
- Writer(s): Tony Jordan.
- Music: John Lunn.
- Cinematography: Tomasz Naumiuk and Jacek Petrycki.
- Editor(s): Celia Haining.
- Production: Red Planet Pictures.
- Distributor(s): BBC Worldwide and TVP (Poland).
- Original Network: BBC One and TVP 1 (Poland).
- Release Date: 07 November 2014.
- Running Time: 30 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.