Discover the vital role trains and railways played during history’s greatest conflicts, from the Civil War through WWII.
Each episode focuses on a different train or train-line that played a significant role in combat. Stories include those of the ambulance trains of WW1, which carried 461,844 patients to Southampton and Dover; the Great Locomotive Chase of the American Civil War; the 258 mile Burma Railway, also known as ‘Death Railway’; and the Holocaust trains used by the Nazis to transport Jews to the concentration camps.
Through expert interviews, authentic and dramatic reconstruction, engineering graphics and archive footage, the series will reveal the stories of the trains and their fascinating engineering detail, as well as the human stories of those who were transported on the trains.
Combat Trains Series
- Episode 01: The Death Railway.
- Episode 02: Ambulance Trains.
- Episode 03: Nazi Railway.
- Episode 04: World War I.
- Episode 05: WWII – The Homefront.
- Episode 06: Critical Cargo.
- Episode 07: First Railroad War.
- Episode 08: Secrets and Lies.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Jonathan Mayo.
- Producer(s): Kate Beal and Jenni Day.
- Editor(s): Rob Hull and James Marson.
- Production: Woodcut Media.
- Distributor(s): History Channel (2015).
- Release Date: 02 December 2015.
- Running time: 60 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.