Star Wars Rebels is an American 3D animated science fiction television series produced by Lucasfilm Animation and set in the Star Wars galaxy five years before A New Hope.
It takes place during an era when the Galactic Empire is hunting down the last of the Jedi while a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking form.
The visual style of the series is inspired by the original Star Wars trilogy concept art by Ralph McQuarrie.
The series features new characters, along with some from the original trilogy and from the previous CGI series, The Clone Wars.
- The first season premiered as a one-hour television film, Spark of Rebellion (S01E01 and S01E01), on 03 October 2014, on Disney Channel prior to the premiere of the series on 13 October on Disney XD.
- The second season premiered on 20 June 2015, with a one-hour television film, The Siege of Lothal (S02E01 and S02E02).
- The third season premiered on 24 September 2016, with the television film, Steps Into Shadow (S03E01 and S03E02).
- The fourth and last season premiered on 16 October 2017, with another one-hour television film, Heroes of Mandalore (S04E01 and S04E02). Its final episode aired on 05 March 2018.
Fourteen years after the fall of the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order and the rise of the Galactic Empire depicted in Revenge of the Sith, a motley group of rebels unite aboard a freighter starship called the Ghost and begin to conduct covert operations against the Imperial garrison on and around the planet Lothal and other planets that are menaced by the Empire.
- Taylor Gray as Ezra Bridger, a teenage con artist who is taken in by Kanan to be trained as a Jedi.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. as Kanan Jarrus, formerly known as Jedi Padawan, Caleb Dume, who survived the events of Order 66. He is Ezra’s mentor and leader of the Ghost Crew.
- Vanessa Marshall as Hera Syndulla, a Twi’lek pilot turned Rebel Commander and the daughter of Ryloth freedom fighter Cham Syndulla.
- Tiya Sircar as Sabine Wren, a young Mandalorian warrior who’s fixated with art.
- Steven Blum as Garazeb “Zeb” Orrelios, a former Lasat honour guard member who wants the Empire to pay for enslaving his people.
- Dave Filoni as Chopper (credited as “Himself” prior to the series finale) , Hera’s astromech droid who can be a bit reckless.
- Jason Isaacs as Grand Inquisitor (Seasons 1–2), a former Jedi Knight who turned to the dark side and was tasked with hunting down surviving Jedi.
- James Earl Jones as Darth Vader (Seasons 1–2), an evil Sith Lord and apprentice to Emporer Palpatine who was once Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker.
- Frank Oz as Yoda (Seasons 1–2 & 4), the wise and powerful Grand Master of the Jedi who is exiled on the planet Dagobah.
- Dee Bradley Baker as Captain Rex (Seasons 2–4), a former high ranking Clone trooper.
- Lars Mikkelsen as Grand Admiral Thrawn (Seasons 3–4), a powerful high ranking officer in the Galactic Empire.
- Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera (Seasons 3–4), a Rebel extremist and a former freedom fighter.
- Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman served as executive producers of season one.
- Weisman left the show after season one.
- Filoni was also the supervising director for the first two seasons, a role he relinquished after accepting a promotion that expanded his creative role into overseeing all Lucasfilm Animation projects; he chose Justin Ridge to succeed him for season three.
- The series has been generally well received with several award wins and nominations.
- A number of tie-in media have been released to expand upon the series’ lore such as the comic book series Kanan, the novel A New Dawn, and the novel series Thrawn.
Star Wars: Rebels Series
- Shorts (2014).
- Season 01 (2014-2015).
- Season 02 (2015-2016).
- Season 03 (2016-2017).
- Season 04 (2017-2018).
- Overview of the Star Wars Franchise.
- Overview of Star Wars Films.
- Overview of Star Wars Parodies.
- Overview of Star Wars TV Series.
- Overview of Star Wars Documentary Series.
- Overview of LEGO Star Wars.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Simon Kinberg, Dave Filoni, and Carrie Beck.
- Director(s): Dave Filoni (Supervising director).
- Producer(s): Simon Kinberg, Dave Filoni, Greg Weisman, Kiri Hart, Athena, Yvette Portillo, and Carrie Beck.
- Music: Kevin Kiner and John Williams.
- Production: Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm Animation.
- Distributor(s): Disney-ABC Domestic Television.
- Release Date: 11 August 2014 to 15 January 2018.
- Running Time: 22 minutes (per episode, approximate).
- Country: US.
- Language: English.