Star Wars: Evolution of the Lightsaber Duel is a 2015 documentary hosted by Mark Hamill.
The documentary covers the inspirations and influences that the legendary lightsaber in the Star Wars universe and the duels that the device is used in. In the documentary Hamill describes his time in Japan and his brief exposure to Japanese history and culture and how it influenced the Star Wars franchise.
The Samurai who date back to the medieval history of Japan and their fighting techniques parallel that of the Jedi (and Sith) and their swords handling and usage of the legendary lightsaber. The organisational structure and purpose of the Jedi as spiritual warrior monks also draws from the Samurai who served the same purpose of protecting society and maintaining peace.
According to Hamill in the documentary, the armour of the samurai also resembles and inspired the concept of Darth Vader. The documentary also covers how the lightsaber duel scenes in the films intensified from the Star Wars to Revenge of the Sith.
- Mark Hamill … Self/Host.
- George Lucas … Self (archive footage).
- Nick Gillard … Self.
- Ewan McGregor … Self (archive footage).
- Samuel L. Jackson … Self (archive footage).
- Ray Park … Self.
- Alec Guinness … Self (archive footage).
- Minoru Oya … Self.
- Ian McDiarmid … Self.
- Brandon Harada … Self.
- Paul Vincent … Self.
- Jonathan Rinzler … Self.
- Chris Yang … Self.
- Kenjiro Terachi … Self.
- Shuntaro Shinada … Self.
- John Boyega … Self.
- J.J. Abrams … Self.
Star Wars Series
- Overview of the Star Wars Franchise.
- Overview of Star Wars Films.
- Overview of Star Wars Parodies.
- Overview of Star Wars TV Series.
- Overview of Star Wars Documentary Series.
- Overview of LEGO Star Wars.
Production & Filming Details
- Presenter(s): Mark Hamill.
- Director(s): Martin Khodabakhshian.
- Producer(s): Toby Hershkowitz, Ben Houser, Craig Lazarus, Daniel McNicoll, Stacey Pressman, and Kotaro Yoshida.
- Writer(s): Greg Barber, Ben Houser, Martin Khodabakhshian, Graig Lazarus, and Michael Sciallis.
- Cinematography: Michael Bollacke.
- Editor(s): Michael Sciallis.
- Production: Galatia Films and Victory Pictures.
- Distributor(s): ESPN (US).
- Release Date: 15 December 2015.
- Running Time: 30 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.