Vikings is a historical drama television series, written and created by Michael Hirst for the television channel History.
The series broadly follows the exploits of the legendary Viking chieftain Ragnar Lothbrok and his crew, and in later seasons those of his sons.
The first season premiered on 03 March 2013 in Canada and concluded on 28 April 2013, consisting of nine episodes.
It begins at the start of the Viking Age, marked by the Lindisfarne raid in 793, and follows Ragnar’s quest to become Earl, and his desire to raid England.
- Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok, a Viking farmer and warrior who yearns to raid the rumored riches of undiscovered England.
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha, Ragnar’s wife, and a shield-maiden.
- Clive Standen as Rollo, Ragnar’s brother.
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy, Earl Haraldson’s wife.
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki, a gifted shipbuilder and Ragnar’s friend.
- Gabriel Byrne as Earl Haraldson, Earl of the settlement known as Kattegat, the home of Ragnar.
- George Blagden as Athelstan, an Anglo-Saxon monk captured by Ragnar on his first raid in England.
- Donal Logue as King Horik of Denmark.
- Alyssa Sutherland as Princess Aslaug, a love interest of Ragnar, claiming to be the daughter of the valkyrie Brynhildr.
- John Kavanagh as The Seer, the seiðmann of Kattegat.
- David Pearse as Svein, the loyal henchman of Earl Haraldson.
- Nathan O’Toole as Bjorn Ironside, Ragnar and Lagertha’s son.
- Ruby O’Leary as Gyda, Ragnar and Lagertha’s daughter.
- Eddie Elks as Olafur, a Viking warrior in the service of Earl Haraldson.
- Vladimir Kulich as Erik, elderly Viking and one of Ragnar’s warriors.
- Diarmaid Murtagh as Leif, one of Ragnar’s warriors and the son of Erik.
- Tadhg Murphy as Arne, one of Ragnar’s warriors; an archer with an eye-patch.
- Jefferson Hall as Torstein, one of Ragnar’s warriors and closest friends.
- Jouko Ahola as Kauko, a Finnish Viking and one of Ragnar’s warriors.
- Eric Higgins as Knut Tjodolf, Earl Haraldson’s half-brother.
- Will Irvine as Brother Cenwulf, serving at the monastery of Lindisfarne.
- Carrie Crowley as Elisef, wife of Erik and mother of Leif.
- Sam Lucas Smith as Edwin, a Saxon.
- Ivan Kaye as King Aelle of Northumbria.
- Jonathon Kemp as Lord Wigea, an advisor of King Aelle.
- Peter Gaynor as Lord Edgar, an advisor of King Aelle.
- Elinor Crawley as Thyri, Earl Haraldson and Siggy’s daughter.
- Maude Hirst as Helga, Floki’s woman.
- Trevor Cooper as Earl Bjarni, Thyri’s husband-to-be.
- Angus MacInnes as Tostig, an old Viking warrior.
- Eddie Drew as Odin, appearing in Ragnar’s visions.
- Gerard McCarthy as Brondsted, a Viking who attacks Lagertha
- Billy Gibson as Ulf.
- David Wilmot as Olaf Andwend.
- Conor Madden as Eric Trygvasson, a Viking who is prosecuted in Kattegat by Earl Haraldson.
- Donna Dent as Rafarta.
- Cian Quinn as Olaf, son of Ingolf.
- Craig Whittaker as Hakon, a Viking and one of Ragnar’s men.
- Des Braiden as Father Cuthbert, in charge of the monastery of Lindisfarne.
- Sebastiaan Vermeul Taback as Osiric.
- David Murray as Lord Aethelwulf, the brother of King Aelle.
- Cathy White as Queen Ealhswith of Northumbria, King Aelle’s wife.
- Sean Treacy as Prince Egbert, King Aelle’s son.
- James Flynn as Eadric, a Saxon.
- Thorbjørn Harr as Jarl Borg, the Jarl of Götaland.
- David Michael Scott as Nils.
An Irish-Canadian co-production presented by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Vikings was developed and produced by Octagon Films and Take 5 Productions. Morgan O’Sullivan, Sheila Hockin, Sherry Marsh, Alan Gasmer, James Flynn, John Weber, and Michael Hirst are credited as executive producers. This season was produced by Steve Wakefield and Keith Thompson. Bill Goddard and Séamus McInerney act as co-producers.
The production team for this season includes casting directors Frank and Nuala Moiselle, costume designer Joan Bergin, visual effects supervisors Julian Parry and Dominic Remane, stunt action designers Franklin Henson and Richard Ryan, composer Trevor Morris, production designer Tom Conroy, editors Aaron Marshall for the first, third, fifth, seventh and ninth episodes, and Michele Conroy for the second, fourth, sixth and eighth episodes, and cinematographer John Bartley. PJ Dillon served as second unit director of photography.
The musical score for the first season was composed by Trevor Morris in collaboration with Steven Richard Davis, Steve Tavaglione, Brian Kilgore, Tina Guo and Mel Wesson. The opening sequence is accompanied by the song “If I Had a Heart” by Fever Ray.
The soundtrack album was released on 21 June 2013 by Sony Music Entertainment.
Additional non-original music by Norwegian music group Wardruna is featured in the episodes “Trial” and “Sacrifice”. The featured tracks – which were not included in the soundtrack release – are “Fehu”, “Ár var alda”, “Heimta Thurs”, “Dagr”, “Laukr”, and “Løyndomsriss”.
You can find a full index and overview of Vikings here.
- Episode 01: Rites of Passage.
- Episode 02: Wrath of the Northmen.
- Episode 03: Dispossessed.
- Episode 04: Trial.
- Episode 05: Raid.
- Episode 06: Burial of the Dead.
- Episode 07: A King’s Ransom.
- Episode 08: Sacrifice.
- Episode 09: All Change.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Johan Renck, Ciaran Donnelly, and Ken Girotti.
- Writer(s): Michael Hirst.
- Release Date: 03 March 2013 to 28 April 2013.
- Running time: 45 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: 18.
- Country: US
- Language: English.