Barbarians Rising is an American docudrama television series executive produced by Adam Bullmore and produced by Chloe Leland and Michael Waterhouse that airs on History Channel. It premiered on 06 June 2016.
The series is told from the perspective of leaders of peoples that fought Rome, who were termed as barbarians by the Romans.
These individuals were famous for challenging the rule of Rome.
Depictions of these leaders and historical events are interspersed with brief commentary from modern scholars, historians and experts on military and public policy.
- Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal.
- Jefferson Hall as Viriathus.
- Ben Batt as Spartacus.
- Tom Hopper as Arminius.
- Kirsty Mitchell as Boudica.
- Steven Waddington as Fritigern.
- Gavin Drea as Alaric.
- Emil Hostina as Attila.
- Richard Brake as Geiseric.
The History Channel ordered Barbarians Rising in December 2015. The cast, and the US and Canadian premiere dates of 06 June 2016, were announced in May 2016.
History (Canada) debuted the miniseries the same month as the United States and has it available for viewing On Demand for a full year. Barbarians Rising premiered in the UK on 31 August 2016. It was scheduled to premiere in Italy and Australia on 04 July and in much of Europe on 17 July. The series will premiere in Germany in September 2016, and in Japan, Spain and Portugal in fall 2016.
Despite the high number of viewers, the show received mixed reviews. Brian P. Kelly of The Wall Street Journal gave Barbarians Rising a mixed review, commending History Channel “for offering a show that deals with, well, history” while also noting “the series is slowed to the point of exhaustion by its lengthy re-enactments”. Verne Gay of Newsday was also mixed in his appraisal of the miniseries giving it a grade of ‘C’ and remarking that “The sword-and-sandal mini-epics here are lavishly produced, and (for the most part) dramatically comatose.”
Barbarians Rising Series
Production & Filming Details
- Narrator(s): Michael Ealy.
- Director(s): Simon George, Declan O’Dwyer, and Maurice Sweeney.
- Producer(s): Adam Bullmore, Joe Cushing, Simon Geroge, Michael Waterhouse, and Chloe Leland.
- Writer(s): Lindsey Shapero, Oliver Nilsson-Julien, Chris Fallon, Colin Heber Percy, and Lyal Watson.
- Cinematography: Richard Kendrick and Gary Clarke.
- Editor(s): Paul Holland, Lewis Albrow, and David Barrett.
- Release Date: 06 June 2016 to 27 June 2016.
- Running Time:
- Rating: TV-14.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.