Tomorrow When the War Began is an Australian drama television series based on the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, produced by Michael Boughen and Tony Winley and executive produced by Matthew Street and Kim Vecera.
The series, which consisted of six one-hour episodes, premiered on ABC3 on 23 April 2016, and covered roughly the events of the first novel, Tomorrow, When the War Began.
A film of the same name was released in 2010.
Based on the award-winning novels written by John Marsden, Tomorrow When the War Began follows a group of eight teenage friends who find themselves in the middle of an unexpected war in a small country town after returning from a remote camping trip. Cut off from the rest of the world and everyone they knew, they must find their way in the new world, where they are among only a few remaining free Australians, who must learn to defend themselves against the hostile invaders and save their detained families.
- Molly Daniels as Eleanor “Ellie” Linton.
- Narek Arman as Homer Yannos.
- Jon Prasida as Lee Takkam.
- Madeleine Clunies-Ross as Fiona “Fi” Maxwell.
- Madeleine Madden as Corrie Mackenzie.
- Andrew Creer as Kevin Holmes.
- Fantine Banulski as Robyn Mathers.
- Keith Purcell as Chris Maxwell.
- Sibylla Budd as Rachel Maxwell.
- Deborah Mailman as Kath Mackenzie.
- Alison Bell as Liz Linton.
- Richard Young as Jack Linton.
- Spencer McLaren as Daniel Maxwell.
- Damien Fotiou as George Yannos.
- Alfred Nicdao as Umar Takkam.
- James Stewart as Colonel Lee.
The series was shot from 14 September to 13 November 2015. Filming took place in and around Melbourne, on the Barwon Heads Bridge, and in Clunes, Victoria.
On 27 November 2015, ABC released its official line-up of new television series to be broadcast in 2016, which included a short preview for Tomorrow When the War Began. On 01 January 2016, the first full trailer was released for the series. Further teasers and trailers were released in March 2016.
Tomorrow When the War Began is broadcast on ABC3 and distributed in Australia by ABC Commercial. The series will be distributed internationally by Annapurna Pictures.
Tomorrow When the War Began was released on DVD and Blu-Ray on 1 June 2016 in Region 4/B.
Tomorrow When the War Began Series
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Brendan Maher.
- Producer(s): Matthew Street, Kim Vecera, Michael Boughen, and Tony Winley.
- Writer(s): Alice Addison, Blake Ayshford, Josh Mapleston, John Marsden, and Justin Monjo.
- Cinematography: Simon Ozolins.
- Editor(s): Peter Carrodus and Anne Carter.
- Production: Ambience Entertainment.
- Distributor(s): ABC Commercial.
- Release Date: 23 April 2016 to 28 May 2016.
- Running Time: 46 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Australia.
- Language: English.