The story of former president of Costa Rica and 1987 Nobel Peace Prize Winner Oscar Sanchez Arias.
This is the story of a tiny country that made a decision to do something that no other country had ever done – it decided to abolish its army and declare peace to the world. And this is the story of a young boy who grew up in that country, and how he ended up challenging – and sometimes even convincing – the greatest powers in the world to follow Costa Rica’s example.
“Oscar Arias: Without a Shot Fired” is a Don Quixote-like saga with great historical touchstones – Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, Cold War politics and Communism, Central American War and Peace.
It follows a slight, academic, and most unlikely hero over the course of more than fifty years, as he travels the world in a quest to stop the spread of the weapons of war. In the end, it is a story about the triumph of reason, of the sparrow triumphing over the eagle, and how the impossible dream can sometimes come true.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Dawn Gifford Engle.
- Roberto Ibanez Atkinson … associate producer.
- Cristina Bordes … associate producer.
- Jacque Gellein … producer.
- Rip Gellein … producer.
- Manfred Kastner … associate producer.
- Ana Morales … producer.
- Rona Picket … associate producer.
- Ivan Suvanjieff … executive producer.
- Elizabeth Parmly Weber … producer.
- Writer(s): Dawn Gifford Engle.
- Cinematography: Elizabeth Holloway, Ivan Suvanjieff, and Rogelio Vasquez.
- Editor(s): Elizabeth Holloway.
- Production: PeaceJam Productions.
- Distributor(s): Gravitas Ventures.
- Release Date: 2017.
- Running Time: 63 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.