A documentary series featuring all the US military engagements during the period of 1700-2004.
Only American lives were lost. The War Between the States, more commonly referred to as The Civil War was the darkest period in US history. American soldiers turned innovative and more lethal weapons on each other and tore the nation apart. It would take time to heal. The nation is still healing.
- 1846 – United States Declares War on Mexico (00:03:57). The Mexican American War, begun by President John K. Polk, was fought to bring Texas into the union and to promote slavery and Manifest Destiny.
- 1861 – Eleven States Comprise the Confederacy (00:03:25). The Civil War, fought to end Slavery and bring the Confederacy back into the Union was led by Abraham Lincoln.
- 1862 – Emancipation Proclamation (00:02:54). The Emancipation Proclamation, ending slavery during the Civil War, was written by Abe Lincoln, to rally the support of abolitionists later the Union’s victory at the Battle of Antietam.
- 1863 – Lincoln Delivers His Gettysburg Address (00:03:18). During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln gave his immortal Gettysburg Address.
- 1863 – The Fall of Vicksburg (00:05:51). When in the Civil War, the Union, under the presidency of Abraham Lincoln, captured Vicksburg, the war was all but over, a war that had begun badly for the North with defeat at the Battle of Bull Run won by the Confederacy; but victories at Antietam and Gettysburg, and generals such as U.S. Grant and Philip Sheridan were able to defeat the brilliant leadership of Robert E. Lee and lead the north to victory at Appomattox, while at the same time naval warfare was changed forever in the battle bet.
- 1865 – Lee Surrenders at Appomattox (00:03:21). Appomattox, ending the civil war, brought together Confederate General Robert E. Lee, and Union General U.S. Grant.
The Complete History of US Wars 1700-2004 Series
You can find a full index and overview of The Complete History of US Wars 1700-2004 here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 20 December 2004.
- Running Time: 27 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: PG.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.