The Long Way Home is a 1960 BBC drama series set during WWII.
Subtitled The Escape the Germans Allowed.
A group of British POWs escape from a WW2 German camp and try to make their way to Spain – and safety.
But one of them is a German agent whose mission is to betray the others and expose their escape route.
- Barry Letts … Lieutenant Anson, 7 episodes.
- James Sharkey … Captain Miller, 7 episodes.
- Nigel Arkwright … Captain Gill, 7 episodes.
- Patrick Cargill … Herr Grosnitz, 7 episodes.
- Harvey Hall … Herr Bauer, 7 episodes.
- Neil Wilson … Commissioned Gunner Parks, 5 episodes.
- Derek Francis … Gaston Rondeur, 5 episodes.
- John Denis, 4 episodes.
- Leslie Wright, 4 episodes.
- Ricky Felgate, 3 episodes.
- Norman Lambert, 3 episodes.
- Keith Goodman, 3 episodes.
- Robert Weeden … German Lieutenant, 3 episodes.
- Guy Duncan, 3 episodes.
- Peter Stuart-Smith, 3 episodes.
- David Ap-Richards, 3 episodes.
- Michael Harrison … 5th German Soldier, 3 episodes.
- Peter Badger, 3 episodes.
- The second episode, The First Lap, of this seven-part series no longer exists. The remaining six episodes survive intact.
- The cast included Arthur Lowe, later the star of the rather more lighthearted wartime series Dad’s Army.
The Long Way Home Series
- Episode 01: The Tunnel.
- Episode 02: The First Lap.
- Episode 03: The French Resistance.
- Episode 04: Cross Country Run.
- Episode 05: The Boathouse.
- Episode 06: The Spanish Frontier.
- Episode 07: Over the Line.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Shaun Sutton.
- Producer(s): Shaun Sutton.
- Editor(s): Ron de Mattos.
- Original Network:
- Release Date: 24 April 1960 to 05 June 1960.
- Running Time: 30 minutes.
- Rating: PG.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.