From Braveheart to barbarians, we’re going medieval on myths and legends.
Also known as Barbarians, Secrets of the Dark Ages.
In Secrets Of The Dark Ages, Richard Rudgley goes in search of evidence of the barbarians of the dark ages, people whose names have for 1500 years been bywords for mindless brutality: the Huns, the Vandals, the Goths. It is a journey that takes us all across Europe, from the cold northern seas off Scandinavia to the heart of the Great Hungarian plain – and Richard discovers the secrets of forgotten empires, and of mighty clashes throughout Europe, as hordes of migrants flooded into the Roman world across the Rhine, as Asiatic nomads swarmed over the Alps, as African Berber armies struck deep into Spain. The books tell us that the barbarians created nothing worth having. But this programme shows us that this was far from the truth, that the so-called barbarians created the modern map of Europe, that they were often tolerant and far seeing peoples, that they created great art and democratic values, that the barbarian legacy lives on in us today.
Secrets of the Dark Ages Series
- Episode 01: History’s Hell’s Angels.
- Episode 02: In a Time of Shadows.
- Episode 03: Out of the Darkness.
Production & Filming Details
- Presenter(s): Richard Rudgley.
- Chris Malone … (2 episodes, 2003).
- Mark Elliott … (1 episode, 2003).
- Charles Furneaux … commissioning editor (3 episodes, 2003).
- Chris Malone … producer (2 episodes, 2003).
- David Wason … producer (1 episode, 2003).
- Writer(s): Richard Rudgley.
- Cinematography: Tim Pollard.
- Mark Elliott … (2 episodes, 2003).
- Kim Horton … (unknown episodes).
- Production: Granada Television.
- Distributor(s): Channel Four and Discovery Channel.
- Release Date: 08 July 2002.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Rating: TV-PG.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.