Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is an American science fiction adventure television series produced by Universal Studios. The series ran for two seasons between September 1979 and April 1981, and the feature-length pilot episode for the series was released as a theatrical film before the series aired.
The film and series were developed by Glen A. Larson and Leslie Stevens, based on the character Buck Rogers created in 1928 by Philip Francis Nowlan that had previously been featured in comic strips, novellas, a serial film, and on television and radio.
Buck is invited to present the Earth’s flag at the 2492 Olympic Games on the planet Mycos. There he meets an astrosled pilot named Lara Tizian who begs Buck to help her boyfriend Jorax Leet escape from the games. Jorax is from a repressive world called Lozeria and is trying to defect with Lara to Earth to escape being used as a political figurehead by the Lozerian hierarchy, but they have implanted a molecular bomb in his head which, if detonated, will not only kill him, but anyone around him. Lozeria’s ruler is the Satrap, a dictator who ruthlessly controls athletes in much the same way that the Soviet Union and East Germany did during the Cold War. With Lara and Wilma’s help, Buck tries to steal a remote detonator which is in the possession of Jorax’s ruthless sponsor, Allerick. However, another problem arises when Dr. Theopolis warns a back-up detonation signal can be sent from the Lozerian home world and their only chance is to outrun the signal through the Stargate.
- The romance between Lara Tizian and Jorax Leet is based on the romance between Czech Discus thrower Olga Fikotova and American Hammer thrower Hal Connolly during the 1956 Summer Olympic Games.
- The 1980 Summer Olympics were held in Moscow.
- When the show was aired, it had not been decided, that the USA would boycott those games.
- Guest stars: Judith Chapman (as Lara Tizian), Barney MacFadden (as Jorax Leet), Nicolas Coster (as Allerick), Paul Mantee (as Karl), Paul Coufos (as Zagon), and John A. Zee (as the Satrap).
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century Series
You can find a full index and overview of Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century here.
You can find a full index of the Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century TV Series here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 07 February 1980.
- Running Time: 60 minutes (per episode, with adverts).
- Rating: 15.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.