Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is an American science fiction adventure television series produced by Universal Studios. The series ran for two seasons between September 1979 and April 1981, and the feature-length pilot episode for the series was released as a theatrical film before the series aired.
The film and series were developed by Glen A. Larson and Leslie Stevens, based on the character Buck Rogers created in 1928 by Philip Francis Nowlan that had previously been featured in comic strips, novellas, a serial film, and on television and radio.
Buck Rogers, Wilma Deering and Twiki have been assigned aboard the spaceship Searcher which is on a mission to explore the galaxy and contact lost tribes of men who left Earth after the apocalyptic war. Elsewhere, a humanoid bird-man named Hawk returns home and finds his people slaughtered by a band of human pirates and he angrily vows to kill all humans he encounters from then on. After Hawk attacks the crew of a freighter, Buck goes in search of him determined to put an end to his killing spree and bring him to justice. During his duel with Buck, Hawk’s mate, Koori, is fatally injured and Buck helps Hawk get her to a healer. Although she dies, Hawk is impressed by the fact that Buck offered assistance to an enemy. Buck later defends Hawk at his trial and asks the human court for leniency. Having learned that not all humans are evil, Hawk joins the Searcher crew and accompanies Buck on many subsequent adventures.
Part Two here.
- This was a two-hour episode, later syndicated as a two-part episode.
- Bob Elyea takes over as the voice of Twiki.
- Guest stars: Introducing Thom Christopher (as Hawk), Barbara Luna (as Koori), Lance LeGault (as Flagg), David Opatoshu (as Llamajuna), Sid Haig (as Pratt), Kenneth O’Brien (as Captain), Dennis Haysbert (as Communication Officer), Lavelle Roby (as Thromis), Michael Fox (as High Judge), Andre Harvey (as Thordis).
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century Series
You can find a full index and overview of Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century here.
You can find a full index of the Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century TV Series here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 15 January 1981.
- Running Time: 60 minutes (per episode, with adverts).
- Rating: 15.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.