When The War Came To Australia is a 1992 documentary about Australia in World War Two.
Shows Australia during World War II and its transition from English colony to an American satellite.
A four-part series which looks at world war two from the point of view of ordinary Australians. Australians who either took part in the war or observed it from home, talk about their experiences in between archival footage and narrated commentary.
When The War Came To Australia Series
- Episode 01: Our Melancholy Duty.
- Episode 02: Our Darkest Hour.
- Episode 03: Saviours, Lovers, Heroes.
- Episode 04: The Long War.
- You can find a range of interesting interviews from the documentary at the Australian War Memorial website.
- Australians are aware of the Bombing of Darwin and the submarine attack on Sydney Harbour in 1942.
- However, the only land battle on Australian shores came in August 1944 when hundreds of Japanese prisoners of war (POW) stormed the gates of a detention camp and escaped from Cowra, New South Wales.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Peter Butt.
- Producer(s): Will Davies and Bee Reynolds.
- Writer(s): Joanna Penglase.
- Production: Look Film Production Pty Ltd.
- Release Date: 1992.
- Running Time: 55 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Australia.
- Language: English.
Not currently available.