Built at strategic points, and fitted with impressive fortifications, fortresses are thought to be impenetrable.
Built at strategic points, and fitted with impressive fortifications and ingenious systems to counter attacks, fortresses are thought to be impenetrable. And yet, certain skillful warlords have successfully stormed them. How did they manage this?
By recounting how some of the most remarkable sieges – in ancient times or in medieval history – played out, this series revisits the construction of these megastructures and reveals the different strategies used to lay or to endure a siege. Thanks to CGI, dramatised scenes, and with the help of key experts, it immerses us in the compelling confrontation between the construction genius of the military strategists and the ingenuity of some exceptional warriors.
Besieged Fortresses Series
- Episode 01: The Daunting Fortress of Richard the Lionheart.
- Episode 02: The Siege of La Rochelle, the Battle of the Megastructures.
- Episode 03: The Siege of New Orleans, Joan of Arc’s Victory.
- Episode 04: The Siege of Alesia, Caesar’s Greatest Victory (In Production).
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Thomas Risch, Stephane Jacques, and Laurent Portes.
- Production: ZED for RMC Découverte and CuriosityStream.
- Release Date: 13 December 2020.
- Running Time: 50-51 minutes.
- Rating: TV-PG.
- Country: France.
- Language: French and English.