A film constructed using the opposition of what a huge collection of recently discovered glass-plate photographs from the 30’s and 40’s tell us about Romania and what they do not show.
The Dead Nation is a documentary-essay, which shows a stunning collection of photographs from a Romanian small town in the 1930’s and 1940’s. The soundtrack, composed mostly from excerpts taken from the diary of a Jewish doctor from the same era, shows us what the photographs do not: the rising of the anti-Semitism and eventually a harrowing depiction of the Romanian Holocaust, a topic which is not very talked about in the contemporary Romanian society.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Radu Jude.
- Ilinca Belciu … executive producer.
- Diana Paroiu … Funding Coordinator.
- Ada Solomon … producer.
- Writer(s): Emil Dorian and Radu Jude.
- Editor(s): Catalin Cristutiu,
- Production: HI Film Productions.
- Release Date: 10 June 2017 (Cluj-Napoca, Transilvania International Film Festival) (Romania).
- Running Time: 83 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Romania.
- Language: English.