American missionaries struggle to save Chinese civilians from slaughter and rape at the hands of Japanese invaders and also smuggle out evidence of the infamous Nanking Massacre of 1937.
During the brutal invasion of China in 1937 by Imperial Japanese forces, tens of thousands of civilians and prisoners of war are murdered and women raped in what is known simply as “The Rape of Nanking.”
This docudrama is a stirring account of a small band of courageous American missionaries who choose to stay in Nanking to try and protect a quarter million vulnerable Chinese civilians who are trapped in a city ruled by a savage, out of control army.
Their stories are brought vividly to life through actual real-time letters and diaries as they bear witness to one of the worst wartime atrocities in history.
- Gregory Joseph Allen … George Fitch.
- Ines Laimins… Minnie Vautrin.
- Andrew Lane Cawthon … Dr. Robert Wilson.
- Randall Lowell … Father John Magee.
- Michael Koltes … Archibald Steele.
- Iain Inglis … Leslie C. Smith.
- Matthew Ray Ruggles … Tillman Durdin.
- Yanling Yu … Tsen Shui Fang.
- Gao Wanggen … Mr. Chen.
- Shiyou Liu … Japanese Captain.
- Konan Cheung … Japanese Sergeant.
- Archibald C. McColl IV … Radio Operator (as Archibald C. McColl).
- Ian Buruma … Self.
- Christine Choy … Self.
- Martha Smalley … Self.
- Daqing Yang … Self.
- Xia Shuqin … Self.
Production & Filming Details
- Narrator(s): Drew Patterson.
- Director(s): John Ealer.
- Haibing Cao … executive producer.
- Maryellen Cox … associate producer.
- Donna Ferry … line producer.
- Chris Humphrey … executive producer.
- Dorothy Liu … line producer.
- Liu Ming … co-producer.
- Edwina Ngao … consulting producer.
- Frederick Rendina … executive producer / producer.
- Alexandra Stergio … associate producer.
- Writer(s): Frederick Rendina.
- Music: John Cavill.
- Cinematography: Melanie Foo Campbell.
- Production: Talking Drum Pictures.
- A+E Networks (2017) (USA) (TV).
- History Channel Asia (2017) (USA) (TV).
- Jiangsu Television (2017) (China) (TV).
- Release Date: 12 December 2017 (US) and 13 December 2017 (China).
- Running Time: 45 minutes.
- Rating: 18.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.