Watching the Russians is a 2007 documentary by director Rachel Jardine.
Part of the BBC’s Timeshift series (Series 07).
Beginning with the rise of Russophobia in Victorian Britain, former MI5 director general Stella Rimington explores our love-hate relationship with Russia over the past 150 years. The journey takes her to the East End of London on the trail of Russian revolutionaries and to the former mining town of Chopwell, once dubbed Little Moscow. She talks to former Soviet dissident Vladimir Bukovsky and shares recollections of the bugged British embassy in Moscow with former ambassador Rodric Braithwaite.
Production & Filming Details
- Presenter(s): Stella Rimington.
- Director(s): Rachel Jardine.
- John Das … series producer.
- Rachel Jardine … producer.
- Michael Poole … executive producer.
- Editor(s): Darren Flaxstone.
- Production: BBC Bristol.
- Distributor(s): BBC Four (original airing).
- Release Date: 21 November 2007 (UK).
- Running Time: 59 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.